Seven: The Stolen Paper Plate

My work uniform was on and my hair was pulled into a bun. I was relieved when I saw Zack had left like I asked him to. It wasn't until I was about to leave when I noticed the sticky note on my door.

     I lied. I took one paper plate. Along with a few cookies. I think you'll live.

     After reading it, I rolled my eyes and balled up the paper. I tossed it into the trash and left for the bar.

     The name of the bar is Drunk Business. It wasn't the craziest bar but it wasn't exactly ideal either.

     The fake wood floors were usually sticky and the tables were almost always covered in alcohol. The weekdays aren't usually bad; however, Saturday nights are always the worst.

     It was almost midnight and people kept flooding through the doors. It was quickly getting more and more cramped, not to mention the noise level along with the music.

     I was pouring drinks and taking orders as fast as I could manage. At least a dozen guys were barking orders at me and the other bartender working to my right.

     "Hey, little girl! Where's my beer at?" Some loud man yelled at me.

     After apologizing for the wait, I grabbed a bottle and popped the top off. He handed me a ten and told me to keep the change, not wanting to deal with me anymore. Hey, I'm not complaining.

     "You shouldn't let them talk to you like that," Travis yelled as he passed by me to reach the vodka. He was the other bartender in this hell hole.

     "They can say whatever they want as long as I get a tip in return," I called as I poured another shot.

     "I don't think it's worth it." He told me, handing off two drinks.

     "Whatever I can get helps." I told him, collecting empty glasses along the bar strip.

     He scoffed when he heard another insult thrown my way. I shrugged it off like always and continued my job.

     By two, things started slowing down. The crowd was thinning and I was calling multiple cabs for drunk people.

     Travis was picking up empty glasses all over the small room and wiped down the tables as he did. I joined him once I got off the phone with the sixth cab I had called.

     "Why are you even here? Some of these guys are just plain disrespectful." Travis asked as he placed glasses into the large sink.

     Travis was lean but built. He had dark brown skin with dark brown eyes. His white shirt had a mystery drink spilled on it.

     Wiping down a particularly soaked table, I shrugged. "I need the money and it works with school. I can't complain."

     "Uh, yeah. You can." He said a matter of factly.

     I laughed and said "I need the money and I don't have time to find another job. Besides, tips are always a huge help."

     "I can't wait to get out of here," Travis said with a heavy sigh.

     "It's not that bad," I said, cleaning the glasses.

     "I mean out of this town. It's suffocating. Once I'm done with school, I'm out." He clarified.

     "I like it here," I commented, not sure what he meant by suffocating.

     "Well yeah, you weren't born and raised here. Your parents didn't force you to go to the closest college so you can keep in touch." Travis said as he picked up empty beer bottles. "By this time next year, I'll be in New York."