Dinner and Dancing

When lunch was over the Company was shown to their rooms, a few stayed in their rooms to rest and bathe before dinner, a couple decided to go and look throughout the Kingdom. Thorin walking along side Gandalf walked down the streets, watching the glum faces of the villagers. The trees had no leaves, the cobbled stones were cracked. Many riders in the market ignored them, but a few just stared as they went past.

"A high and mighty Kingdom brought to its knees" Gandalf whispered to himself as he gazed over the view. Thorin knew in his heart to let her go, though he was too selfish. But after seeing the desperation of her people, his own heart was beginning to be over ruled by his head.

Meanwhile back in the castle, Artemis was walking down the corridors filled with portraits of the royal family. She paused when she came upon a strong young image of her father. She let her hand trace over the canvas, looking up at the strong faced man. That stern unimpressed man, haunted her dreams and thoughts. Hearing the distance clicks of armour, she knew that Lord Norgara was having the General keep an eye on her, though it bothered her sense of privacy and her will for isolation.

[[ >>>> Portrait of her father Smaug >>>>> ]]

Avoiding him once more, she kept gracefully walking throughout the castle, until she reached the grand balcony overlooking the Kingdom, and the castle courtyard. Leaning against the railing she let the wind blow through her hair, as the setting sun fully captivated her beauty as it gave her skin a soft glow. The footsteps of the General came to a slow halt, as she knew he was standing in the entrance to the balcony watching her.

"You would have loved Sredir in summer, the music, festivals, the dancing and food, as well as the colour...." The Generals voice was soft as Artemis noticed that her people where all dressed in black and grey. The only shade of colour was from the soldiers with their hint of red in their black armour, compared to the General in full red armour due to his rank. Sucking in a harsh breath Artemis felt her body stiffen at the misery of her people before they relaxed once again slightly.

"How long has it been?" Artemis asked her voice barely audible and as she remained looking at the firey sunset.

"Since summer? Since Smaug rained fire upon us. The fountain of Kings blew out that day, along with the blessing of the King when he was murdered" the General replied honestly.

"And now the fountain is lit once more....." Her voice trailed off as the General nodded behind her.

"We have waited a long time to see that fountain light once more. The day we knew the true heir had returned" He whispered sadly as he remembered Sredir in the summer when he was very young. He lost his mother in the attack from Smaug, and soon lost his sister to sickness, she had kept fighting for four years, hoping to see summer once more. If only she had held on a little longer.

"I'm not the heir, I'm not this Kingdoms saviour" Artemis growled silently as she felt her heart twist with agony.

"The fountain of Kings only is lit when the true heir is on that throne....." He began however Artemis cut him off as she angrily turned to look at him.

"But I'm not on the throne! I have never set foot in this place until today!" She growled before turning away blinking away the water threatening to spill. With a grumble from the sky, Artemis looked up to see dark dangerous clouds growing towards the Kingdom. Lightning flashed, before innocent flakes of snow began to fall as a perfect snowflake landed on her palm just above her dragon mark.

Snow soon started to float down towards the surface, it was gentle at first as it slowly grew heavier. Lighting and thunder continued to flash in the angry sky, as the General sighed deeply as he knew they would have to prepare once more for a bitter cold winter.

"The fountain will only stay alight when the rightful heir to the throne is King or Queen. We have waited years to see the fountain lit once more.......and to witness the blessing of the Kings...." He whispered sadly as Artemis looked out to the Kingdom slowly being coated in snow.

"What is the blessing anyways?" She asked curious.

"It's a part of the beginning of the new year festival. Every year the song of Kings is sung as they give the people the blessing of the Kings. If the wrong person completes the tradition or if it isn't completed the land will plunge to winter, before warming for summer. We haven't had summer here since Smaug betrayed us" he answered bitterly as she just nodded.

"What is the song?" She asked turning to the General as he shrugged.

"It changes with the heart of each heir and mostly each year" he informed as it only made Artemis more angry, frustrated and confused.

"Couldn't Lord Norgara have performed the blessing?"

"He's a ghost. Living his restless life to guide us until the true heir will come forth to ensure the peoples protection and well being before he can rest in peace" he informed.

"Winter.....does that mean I am too late?" Her voice was soft as a spark of hope burst through the General and he shook his head.

"No your Majesty. Our New Year is tomorrow, the skies are preparing for winter since the blessing hasn't been performed for years....." He informed hoping it would mean she would stay.

"Dinner will be prepared in an hour, I can show you to your room if you would like to rest beforehand" he offered his arm as she nodded and took it as he lead her through the castle. They didn't mutter a word until he stopped outside her door, which had two guards positioned outside.

"Your Majesty" he gave a soft smile kissing the top of her hand as his lips lingered a little longer. She felt nothing, no tingles or sparks before he dropped her hand gently and walked down the hall, the door beside her room opened as she saw Thorin walk in to his room, slamming the door shut as she flinched. Her heart betrayed her as she wished he thought nothing of it. She relaxed in her room, having a rose scented bath.

Could Wanda have been right? Could she truly be falling in love? She knew she cared for the company, deeply. But she knew she cared for Thorin more. If she was falling in love with Thorin, did he return her feelings? Her heart breaking slightly she knew it could never be. Her father, her curse, and the hatred she feels Thorin give her. Yet when he had saved her, something else sparked between them.

Once she dressed in a beautiful red wine coloured dress [[>>>>>>DRESS>>>>>>]] she dried her hair! Pinning it back slightly as it flowed down her back in waves. Just as Artemis glanced in the mirror from her chair as the door knocked.

"Come in?" Artemis called as the doors opened and shut as she glanced up to see Thorin dressed in royal blue, causing her breath to hitch in her throat. They didn't say anything as she felt his eyes upon her, causing her to shrink back to dwarf size. Thorin couldn't breath as his eyes roamed over her beautiful gown and body as she stood up.

"Dinner is ready" he told her as she nodded. He hesitated a moment before holding his arm out for her, she slowly walked forward placing her hand in the crook of his elbow. Both of their hearts fluttered as they made their way down towards the dining room. Thorin was relieved when he saw Fili and Kili sitting at the table laughing and looking healthy. The room went silent as those who had been in the infirmary stared at Artemis in her dress as she took her seat.

Food began being served as lively chatter erupted with laughs and cheers. Goblets of wine or ale was never empty, beating music played as Gandalf sat on Artemis's right hand side, watching down at her as she sipped on her goblet.

"Smile my dear, it's good for you" Gandalf chuckled at her as gave a weak smile in response. They all started pounding their boots as Bofur got up from his seat making his way to the middle as of the dance area and began singing, as the rest joined laughing and throwing food at him.

"There is an inn, a merry old inn,

Beneath an old grey hill,

And there they brew a beer so brown

That the Man in the Moon himself came down

One night to drink his fill.

The ostler has a tipsy cat

That plays a five-stringed fiddle;

And up and down he saws his bow

Now squeaking high, now purring low,

Now sawing in the middle.

So the cat on the fiddle played hey-diddle-diddle,

A jig that would wake the dead;

He squeaked and sawed and quickened the tune,

While the landlord shook the Man in the Moon:

"It's after three!" he said." He finished as they all applauded laughing, the music kept going getting a bouncier beat as the dwarves had more to drink more and more followed singing songs and dancing. Soon it was all but Artemis, Dwalin, Balin, Thorin and Bilbo who weren't up dancing laughing, until Bofur came exaggerating a bow towards Artemis holding his hand out, as she hesitated at first before everyone started to encourage her and she was forced from her chair.

Thorin watched from his seat, hand holding his goblet of ale as Artemis was laughing her head thrown back as the music beat; she danced between dwarves as they spun her to another partner. Thorin took another look at his drink, her laughter making his heart flutter as he drained his drink before getting up from his seat, watching her beauty. Slowly the pace of the song grew slower with each step he took towards her, as she was soon spun into his arms.

Artemis gasped slightly and no one else spoke another word. His face was emotionless, as their eyes stayed on each other, as he slowly walked spinning her with him. Eventually one by one they vanished from the room, and soon it remained just those two, his face softening as they kept dancing to the soft music. His arm securely on her waist as if it was made for him, her hand moulded into his, the other on his chest.

They were reasonably close, his warm breath on her cheeks as neither spoke a word. Her soft hands in his made him melt. His blue eyes made her weak at the knees as eventually the music stopped and so did they. Her eyes watched his, hoping, before his hand around her waist pulled away, as her head dropped, her hand about to fall from his when he held it tighter making her gasp slightly looking back up at him.

"Goodnight my Lady" He whispered, his words soft and caring sending ripples through her body as he brought her hand to his lips. His soft lips and the tickle of his beard sent shocks through her body as they lingered.

"Goodnight my King" She replied slowly and softly as his breathing was beginning to become uneven. She had no idea what affect she had on him, as he softly lowered her hand before brushing her arm as he left the hall. Once out of sight he drew a shaky breath regaining his composure as Artemis was doing the exact thing in the dining hall, unable to move.

Artemis made her way down to the courtyard, unaffected by the falling snow as she felt a sharp plunge in her heart as she gasped falling to the floor. Her hand hovering over her heart, as she felt almost like glass was being pulled from her flesh. Snow was settling in her hair and over her dress, as she held herself up by her arms and weakly sat on the snow covered ground. Her breathing irregular as she glanced up to see Thorin smoking and leaning on his balcony looking out.

"Far over the misty mountains cold
To dungeouns deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day,
To find our long-forgotten gold.
The pines were roaring on the height,
The winds were moaning in the night,
The fire was red, it flaming spread;
The trees like torches blazed with light." The words easily sung off Artemis's tongue, her soft gentle calm voice hovering over the quiet snowy air. What she hadn't noticed was harmless flames of orange, yellow and red flowed from her wrist that leant against the ground, seeping into the land. Her heart felt heavy, she felt herself growing tired as her eyes never left Thorin's magnificent figure.

"Artemis!" A shout came out as Thorin's eyes connected with hers as she looked to see Fili and Kili help her to her feet. One hand still hovering her chest as it hurt to breath, confused and weak Kili and Fili helped her back inside before the General took her off them. They growled, when he picked her carrying her to her room leaving them behind. When Thorin had just left his room he saw Artemis's hand holding her chest, her tired looking eyes as she was carried into the room next door.........