"let's just pray that you're better at chemistry"

prologue - "let's just pray that you're better at chemistry"

"You bitch!"

Just like music to my ears, my day at school began in the only way acceptable.

"I thought to god you weren't coming to school." I looked over at the small brown haired girl who had bumped into me in the hall and began to laugh at her words.

"Sam, for the last time, I thought to god isn't a saying." Sam rolled her eyes intensely and I continued to laugh as I looked away from her.

"Maya, we've talked about this. You're my best friend, just let me say what the hell ever I want to say. It's easier that way and you know it." I could tell Sam was in a worse mood than she usually was, but I decided not to ask her what the matter was. She probably just hadn't had time to make coffee that morning and was cranky. "Where were you first and second?"

"I just slept in, I had a migraine." Sam nodded, understanding, but all of a sudden bounced up.

"Oh my god, guess what you missed?"

"What?"

"You're really bad at the whole guessing thing." Sam rolled her eyes again and I shook my head at her in amusement. "Colin had a nose bleed all over Hannah: it was disgusting. I think she broke up with him."

"Aw, poor guy," I muttered as I looked down at my shoes. "Is he okay?"

"He had a nose bleed, Maya, not an aneurysm."

"What is with you this morning?" I asked her and she sighed, clearly not her usual self. "I was referring to the Hannah situation; if she broke up with him for proving to have human functions, she's an asshole."

"Everyone already knows Hannah Webber is an asshole, it's his fault for getting with her in the first place. I'm sure he'll be fine." I shrugged, guessing Sam was right and began to notice that my shoelace was slowly coming untied. "Also, my fucking coffee maker broke this morning. Can you believe that?"

"Yeah, I can. It happens to a lot of people." I smiled over at Sam and she glared at me with fire in her eyes. I laughed quietly, but stopped as I felt my left foot tug on the shoelace of my right shoe, causing me to fall forward and bump into a group of people. "Oh, I'm so sorry—" I looked up at a large group of guys and immediately lost all ability to speak.

"That's okay," One of them said as they continued to walk, not even phased by my flailing. The guy who had spoken to me flashed me a sweet smile and continued to walk off.

"God, you're weird," Sam said, rolling her eyes as she cut me off and walked into our chemistry classroom that I had almost passed up. "Guys, watch out, Maya just ran into Michael Clifford and I think she imagined losing her virginity five times," Sam announced to our entire group of friends and I rolled my eyes as I brought my arms up and crossed them against my chest.

"Michael Clifford is the weirdest guy ever," I looked over at our classmate Kelsey as she spoke and was surprised to see her face of disgust. Kelsey was always saying something rude, but most of us felt too bad to not be friendly with her. "My mom told me that his mom—"

"Kelsey, shut up," My friend Christian begged and I laughed quietly, appreciating him for doing so. "No one cares about the passive aggressive thing your mom told you about someone else." Kelsey pursed her lips and quickly walked across the classroom, leaving our group. We all quietly thanked Christian and he shrugged it off. "Calum just switched in, that must be why you bumped into his flock."

"Calum?" I asked, surprised to hear that name. "He's in this class now?"

"Why are you so star struck? They're normal people," Sam groaned in frustration and I made a mental note to sneak in the teacher's lounge to get her some coffee or a candy bar after this class.