14

______ woke up that next morning with Newt at the foot of the bed, writing in a small journal. As soon as she sat up, Newt turned his attention towards her. "Excellent, you're up," he said with a small smile, closing his notebook. "You slept through the rest of the day yesterday. I guess you really weren't feeling well," he noted. "They said we should be there by about three o'clock."

______ nodded, taking all this new information in. She didn't remember feeling too bad except for dizziness, but Newt didn't want to tell her that he may have accidentally added too much drowsiness into what he gave her. he always liked to experiment with potions and elixirs, trying them out whenever he had the chance. He knew what he gave her had a drowsing property, but man, he didn't expect it to last that long. Just like when he gave Swooping Evil's venom to Frank, he knew it would have some effect, but he didn't know how much. He was amazed that the memory wipe on New York even worked.

It was very dangerous. Highly experimental. Kind of a miracle that it worked, really.

______ yawned and stretched, looking around the room. It felt really cramped all of a sudden, and she wanted desperately to get out. How could people stay in one room so long when they're on a boat? She looked over at Newt. "Do you want to go get some breakfast."

"Just what I was thinking," he told her. "I was waiting for you to wake up."

"Hope I didn't keep you waiting long," she said, getting up. "Well, I'll just get changed and then we'll go."

"Oh, right," Newt said, turning away from her as she changed. It was something simple, not far off from what she usually went with. She took off his jacket, setting in on the bed while she changed.

She walked behind Newt, slipping his jacket onto him from behind and taking his arm. "Ready to go, darling?" she asked in a sweet voice with a smile.

"Darling?" Newt asked, his eyebrows raised, and a slight blush coming onto his face. ______ had never called him that before, and hearing it come out of her shocked him.

"Well, they do think we're a couple," she told him. "And it would be strange if we stayed in a one-bed room and didn't act like a couple. So, we might as well keep the act up, right?"

"Oh, right," Newt said, nodding. Right, he thought. They think we're a couple, so we need to act like one. It's just a farce.

So why did he secretly wish it wasn't one?

They walked out of the room, Newt's face still faintly tinted pink. Not enough for ______ to notice it, but just enough for him to know it was there. As they got to the top deck, they each grabbed some food from what they had to offer and sat at a table on the deck, closer to the edge of the boat. Newt looked out into the ocean, and ______ decided to strike up conversation. "So, are there any magical beasts in the ocean?" she asked with curiosity, a small smile at the thought of it.

"There are," Newt told her. "There's just a few that I can think of, but I'm sure there's an entire network of undiscovered magical ocean beasts. Maybe even some that Muggles think are normal."

"There might be a few animals that are like that. Some we think are normal, but are actually magical. What does a beast have to have to be counted as magical anyways?"

"There's an entire list they gave me a while ago at the Ministry, but since then, I've lost it. I do pride myself on being able to tell them apart though," Newt told her, a small smile on his face. "They just seem to be on a different frequency from everyone else, you know? That's how wizards can pick out Muggles too. Some wizards claim to be able to smell it, but I just kind of feel it. Everyone's on a different frequency." Newt looked over at ______, who was looking at him with big, wondrous, shining eyes. He blushed slightly. "Sorry, didn't mean to ramble on there."