8. The cat...eh...wolf is out of the bag.

It was almost dawn when Charlotte awoke finding herself pressed to the male wolf. He was looking at her with an intensity that made her blush.

"Thank you for helping me", she snuggled closer to him and licked his mussel. "If my true mate is half as impressive as you, I will call myself a very lucky girl."

Casper heard the truth and a hidden regret in her voice.

"You have to go before your human wakes up", he told her. "Don't tell her If you don't want to. But if you need help you can call on me or my human. He's the Captain of the Imperial Gard; Orlando Wren."

Charlotte looked absolutely stunned.

He chuckled at her expression.

"It's okay, I swear you won't get in trouble. My human is a very honorable man. He will support our bond. As my temporary mate you can call on our protection."

She blinked like crazy.

"So if I don't say anything, my human won't know about this? About you?"

Again he chuckled.

"Still ashamed, huh?"

Charlotte let out an awkward huff and cringed when she felt Art stirring.

"I have to go."

After a last glance she turned around and ran. She ran for her life. This was the worst thing Ever! Art would be crushed if he knew. No, no, he must never find out. Never, ever EVER!!!

Just past the outskirts of town next to the road home she waited for him.

Art noticed a blinding headache before he could even open his eyes. The ale had been cheap and the company appealing. All in all it had been a successful festival.

"You ok, Charlotte?" he asked rubbing his eyes.

"Yeah, let's go home. I thought maybe we could carry the cot from your mom's house over to the kitchen so you wouldn't have to sleep on the floor anymore."

"Doesn't this mean that we are accepting not leaving Wren's service for the foreseeable future?" he asked stretching and yawning widely.

"No. It just means that you don't have to sleep on the floor anymore. So forget your stupid pride for once and just start walking."

Art frowned.

"You sound miffed. Did something happen?"

Charlotte sighed and concentrated on relaxing her mind.

"No. I'm just hungry. I didn't get to feed last night. That's all."

"Oh, ok", said Art who started running to speed up their return home.

The house was empty letting them both sigh in relieve. A note in the kitchen told him that Wren would not return before dinner which would give him plenty time to visit his mother and get his cot.

"I can see somethings on your mind, son, so spit it out", Moira said after observing him.

"Doesn't it bother you that I have to serve the man that killed father?" he asked not looking her in the eye.

She clucked her tongue.

"That's what Vincent says and you know how he likes to make up stories so people give him free ale."

She put an finger under his chin.

"Instead of listening to the gossip of drunkards you should trust your own feelings. What do they tell you?"