Cup of Lord Stanley

June

*

Tonight is seventh game of series between us and the New York Rangers. We're at home tonight, and with the Rangers using their backup goalie against us tonight, because their first string goalie was injured in practice yesterday, I trained the team hard to get us to win tonight. 

"You're dressing up tonight, why?" Kayla asks me as I go through my closet, looking for decent clothes to wear. I pick out a pair of black skinny jeans, my Blackhawks windbreaker, and red and black converse.

"Does this looked dress up to you?" I retort. Kayla sticks her tongue out at me.

Jonathan bursts through the door from the bathroom. He's wrapped in just a towel. He walks into the closet next to me and goes behind the door so I or Kayla can't see him change. Kayla wolf whistles as he passes her. 

"Hey", I snap at her. "That's mine. No looking".

Kayla and I laugh, and Jonathan quietly chuckles from behind the door. 

I go into the kitchen to start on my lunch pack, and Jonathan comes out a moment later dressed in a dark blue suit, walking in next to me. I give my own wolf whistle. "Damn. I picked a good one".

"I know you did. I did too", Jonathan leans into my ear and whispers to me. He kisses the top of my head before moving away from me. "Are you almost ready?" he asks me, grabbing a miniature smoothie in a bottle from the fridge. 

"Yeah. I have to be there before you anyway", I find my work bag and pack my lunch pouch into it. "Kayla, are you coming with me, or are you going home to Patrick?"

"I have to go home. I guess I have to pick out Pat's suit for tonight. He doesn't want to look like a dufus. I'll see you guys after the game. Jonathan, kick ass please. We have to win this". 

Kayla leaves, I pack my final things into my bag, Jonathan slips on shoes and grabs his car keys, and we leave my apartment. 

The drive seems to take longer than usual, but I might just be excited for tonight. As Jonathan and I get to the gate to the back parking lot, Patrick is right behind us, and Artem is right in front of us.

We all walk through the door, every guy is in their suit, ready for their press conference in the auditorium before our practice. They all have to answer questions about their season and how training and practice is going. So, pretty much mine and my father's review for the year, all out for the public to hear.

I go to my office to start my last set of paperwork for the season, while the guys go off to their press conference, then they have to get ready for practice. Finishing the last paper, I take the happiest sigh of relief I think I've ever taken.

"Hey", I hear from my doorway. I look up quickly to see Jonathan and a whole group stand in the equipment room.

"Hey", I stand up from my chair. "You guys are already done? How'd it go?"

"Fine", Jonathan shrugs. "Normal press questions, stupid, made up answers, the usual. We're just about to get dressed for practice. Just wanted to let you know".

"Okay", I answer. "I'll get my skates and meet you all out there".

They all leave and I find my skates in the bottom drawer of my filing cabinet. I tie them onto my feet and help my team take everything needed to the bench, ready for the team.

~~~~~~~~~~

I stand at the back of the bench and wait for the team to be called to the ice. After training this morning, the Hawks are more than ready for tonight's game. We have the speed, and after watching clips of their speed compared to the Rangers, we've got this.

"Ladies and gentlemen", the voice echoes through the stadium as everything goes dark. "The Chicago Blackhawks".

Crawford skates out first, then Anisimov, then Jonathan. The stadium goes wild. They skate out in their line, skating around and stopping on our blue line. Their home, red jerseys shine compare to the dark of the stadium.

The face off starts between Jonathan and Derek Stepan. Jonathan shoots it between his legs, back to Patrick. Patrick skates along, keeping the puck with him, while he other four defend. 

After two periods, the score is 4-4. Dad and I hype the team for the last period, and it seems to be working really well. Rangers haven't made it past neutral zone into ours yet. Corey is skating around the net, waiting for someone to even come close to entering our zone. I watch nervously, knowing that if we go into overtime, we'll lose for sure. Rangers are extremely good at their OT plays this season. 

We have five minutes left in regulation time, and the team is getting antsy on the bench, knowing that the rest of us trainers and coaches are nervous about going into OT. 

Our first line skates out again, 52 seconds left. Jonathan, Patrick, Artemi, Duncan, and Brent start their speed to the puck, which Stepan has, skating into neutral zone. Artemi stops him, taking the puck back to the Ranger's zone.

Watching the ice, I turn the ring on my finger, my nervous twitch. I look from the ice to the scoreboard above us. 49.....48.....47.....46.....45.....44.

We stay in the Rangers zone, but have no chances to shoot the puck. They block all areas, even for the fastest of our passes. 

30.....29.....28.....27.....26.....25.....24.....23.....22.....21.

Dad calls for them to just stay on the ice, having our best chances with our best goal scorers. 

11.....10.....9.....8.....7.....6.....5.....4.....3.....2.....

Patrick takes the puck one last time, taking an unannounced slap shot.

The buzzer sounds end of game. The bench suddenly rumbles, along with the rest of the stadium. I look around, stunned for a moment, not quite sure what was happening. Dad rushes over and picks me up in his arms, the team throws their helmets off and skates onto the ice. 

We won!