14. Read My Mind

I scrubbed paint off of my hands and smiled at Devon as we talked. We were in one of my many art classes together and had been friends since the first semester last year. He was taller than me by what felt like a three feet and had extremely dark skin. I'd tried to get with him once only to  be rejected profusely. We were still really good friends though.

"So, are you seeing anybody?" He asked as he too cleaned paint from his skin.

I blushed as I looked down at the now blue tinted water, a smile pulling at my lips. Sheepish wasn't usually a trait of mine, but when I thought of Sabastian I couldn't help it. Almost like a boner.

I began to dry my hands and nodded. "Yeah, actually. His name is Sabastian, he's a music major." We turned away from the sinks and started heading towards the door, still talking.

"Want to double date with me and my girl sometime?" He asked. I thought about it and how awkward Sabastian was. "Um, probably not right now. We just started dating and I don't think he'd be comfortable with that right now."

Devon smiled and nodded. "Okay, tell me when it'd be cool." We stopped at a crossroads in the hallway and he turned in the opposite direction. "I gotta head this way, see you tomorrow." I waved as he left and got my phone out. Sabastian's contact picture in my phone was him glaring at the camera, blushing. It made me giggle as I clicked the call button, waiting for him to answer me as I made way down the campus halls. It took a few rings but once his slightly grumpy voice answered me I grinned widely and skipped. "Hi babe!" My voice was louder than necessary, but who actually cared? Probably Sabastian.

"Hello Ridge." He said, sounding a lot happier than he did when he first answered.

"I just finished my last class, want to go get something to eat?" I asked as I smiled at the other passing students. "Seriously, I'm starving. I didn't have time to get breakfast this morning and Harry couldn't make it to lunch."

I heard shuffling from his end and a few bumps. "Of course, want me to meet you at your apartment? We can just take my car." I nod and answer, driving towards my apartment.

Once it was all said and done, I hung up and focused more of my attention on the road. I still couldn't believe that Sabastian and I were dating. He seemed too good for me, too pure. I was hot enough for him, but he was a truly amazing person. It just didn't seem real.

Though I knew it'd be hard for me to hold off on touching him, it was very possible. My hand may be my best friend for awhile, but it was worth it if Sabastian wasn't comfortable with that kind of thing. I pulled into my parking spot and smiled to myself. We'd only been dating for a week and I was whipped.

The walk up the stares seemed long and I shivered in the cool breeze when I'd finally made it to the top. I turned and looked at the surrounding areas, my eyes squinted as I tried to find something. My arm hairs stood on end as I felt an unknown feeling wash over me. I couldn't see anyone or anything, though, so I made my way to my apartment- ignoring it.

Zen, my Siamese kitten, greeted me at the door meowing for attention. I picked him up with a smile and set him on my shoulder before continuing through my apartment, picking random clothes off the floor to put in the laundry. I made extra sure to move carefully with Zen balancing on me but had to set him down to change. As comfortable as I felt around Sabastian, wearing pajama pants to our second probably wasn't the most classy of decisions. Not that I myself was very classy; It was just a fact of life. Unfortunately.

Clary laid on my bed and watched me with what seemed to be disdain as I undressed. I stood proudly in my briefs and t-shirt with a defying look on my face. "Don't judge me young lady! I'm fucking beautiful!" She flicked her fluffy tail and continued to stare as I blushed, realizing I'd been defending myself against a cat. How typical of me!

I shimmied into a pair of skinny jeans and pulled a leather jacket over my shirt, adding a beanie when I remembered that it was actually pretty chilly outside. When I'd finally finished adjusting my hair I heard a knock and smiled. Nearly tripping over my own feet, I stumbled to the door and rushed to pull it open. Sabastian stood outside, looking down at me with an adorable grin on his handsome face. "Hope I didn't take too long." He said as I let him inside.

"No!" I said as I moved Venus, another one of my cats, out of the way with my foot. "Of course not, I just got done getting ready. All I need to do is feed the cats, then we can go." I began to walk away before whipping around and pointing to my one couch. "Sit there and I'll be right back."

***

Sabastian and I went back to the diner we'd eaten at when we started dating. The same waitress from last time took our orders again, as friendly as she was before. Sabastian, of course, got a tea (stereotypical British fool) and a loaded baked potato. I really shouldn't expect anything else. Him drinking tea was like me being inappropriate. Mine was simple, a Pepsi, hamburger, and fries.

We made small talk we waited, sitting across from each other. His hand sat temptingly on the table and I just wanted to hold it, but I didn't want him to be uncomfortable. I bit my lip nervously before taking a chance and reaching over to hold his hand. I smiled at him as he blushed and I finally asking. "Is this okay with you?"

His adams apple bobbed as he gulped before smiling. "Yes, actually, I quite enjoy this."

I was interrupted before I speak. "Here you go, boys. Enjoy!" I thanked the blonde waitress as she walked away and we both began eating.

We continued to talk throughout the meal. I was happy to learn more about Sabastian, the more he opened up about his past the closer I felt to him. I couldn't help but wonder though.

"Why don't you ever talk about your ability?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows. It was alarming to watch Sabastian close up, his eyes cutting me off. "Please?" I added.

He glanced into my eyes and shrugged, taking a sip of tea. "I just, I don't want to hurt people."

"How would you hurt someone?"

His fingers entangled with mine as he spoke. "Just, when I was younger, just a prat, I'd control people." He smiled ruefully. "It was over small stuff, like getting a toy I wanted from other children, but as I got older, I realized what I could actually do. If I wanted to, I could make someone hurt themselves. That's when I decided to try to stop. Not much more than that." I could tell that he was lying, and that there was a lot more, but didn't question it.

Instead of digging deeper I laughed and winked. "Just gonna say now, Sabastian. You could stab me in the hip and I'd thank you."

"You bloody idiot." He said with a bashful smile.

I grinned and stared at him, thinking over his previous words. I didn't think he would hurt anyone, he was too sweet for that. Besides, reading a mind and controlling one were two entirely different things. I leaned my head on my left hand and met Sabastian's gaze.

"Read my mind."

A/N

Sorry if you found this chapter boring but I loved it cx

Please, if you're reading this, vote and comment. It means the world!

VCF!