8. You're My Secret

Alpha Connor watched the two of us curiously. He was intrigued by our dynamic. He was reminded of when he and his wife first met. Well, a more anger-charged version of it.

He knew.

At least he thought he did. I averted my eyes to the ground to hide the hints of pain and shame that were apparent on my face. Just like before, just like my first vision of Liam, he stayed quiet. I was his secret. I would be secret. I regained my composure before I looked at Alpha Connor.

"I'd like to go home now," I said.

"You're staying," Liam growled. I felt angry tears of frustration blur my vision but I tried to hold them back.

"Oh really? Why?" I challenged him. The air was charged with tension as Liam just glared in the silence.

"Stay for dinner at least. I wouldn't be comfortable sending you home hungry. I'll make sure you get home afterwards. You have my word," the Alpha offered. I knew that that was the best I was going to get for now. I stood carefully with a quiet thank you before I slowly made my way out of the room. I didn't know where I was going, but I had to be away from that tense atmosphere. It rattled my nerves. I felt him before I saw him. Liam caught up to me in the hallway but he, thankfully, didn't touch me.

"Why are you being so difficult?" he asked in frustration as he stood in front of me.

"Why are you denying me?" I countered as a stubborn tear finally fell. I didn't want him to see me cry, but they were tears of frustration. I wished that I'd never touched him in the woods. I would have continued on blissfully naïve and unaware. Knowing what I was to him and what it meant made it harder. It made it hurt more.

He didn't answer me as he released a breath and looked away from me. He didn't say it, but I felt his answer. It was because he loved her. He wanted to be with her. He always had been. Even with his mate standing right in front of him.

"I thought so," I said softly. As another tear trailed down my cheek. "I'm tired," I said softly. He moved to pick me up but I put a hand up to stop him. He sighed before he just turned and led the way slowly, looking back at me every once in a while. He led me back to his room and I got in the bed and pulled the covers around me as he just watched me. I felt like protecting myself from his stare by throwing the blanket over my face, but that felt childish so I turned over to give him my back instead.

"Dani, I'm sorry, really. I just want to make sure you're okay," he apologized.

"That's not what this is about and you know it," I said bitterly. "Just, leave me alone... please," I asked. He hesitated before he eventually sighed and moved to somewhere else in the room. He set a pair of sweatpants and a shirt on a chair in the room.

"In case you want to shower," he said. He gave me another look before he left, closing the door behind him. I sat up and stared at the clothes. It looked like he'd had the sweats for a while. They didn't look like they could fit him now, but they looked loved.

A shower actually sounded wonderful. I gingerly took the clothes to the bathroom and set them on the counter of the sink as I stared the water in the standing shower. I looked through different drawers before I finally found a towel. I still felt weak but a shower was too tempting to deny. I stripped my clothes from my body and tested the water before getting in. The hot water that pelted my body was relaxing. I let out a breath in content as I let my eyes close. I let the water run over the top of my head and soak my hair so the water touched every inch of my body. The steam only intensified the pine and mint smell mixed with the smell of fresh rain and mangos. The combination was calming. I knew it had a lot to do with Liam's scent, but I accepted it in my solitude anyway.

By the time I got out of the shower, I felt a lot better. I could walk a little easier and I didn't feel as weak. I dried myself off before drying my hair as well. When I went back to the bedroom, a backpack sat on my bed. I looked inside to see my toiletries. I sighed and found my brush before running it through my hair. It was calming and therapeutic, and I ended up doing it longer than necessary.

The door swung open and I expected Liam to come back with his tail between his legs, but it wasn't him. Compared to the alternative, I wished it was him. I could easily sense her fury and jealousy. She didn't just show up to 'talk'. She intended to intimidate and harm me. Bella must have gotten very creative in that text, definitely leaving out the part that I didn't even want to be here.

"What the hell are you doing here?" she asked heatedly.

"Liam is forcing me to stay, or did Bella forget to mention that part?" I sad indifferently, knowing that it wouldn't make a difference to her. I was too tired for her crap. She shook her head.

"You're lying," she insisted. "Why would he want you here? Why are you wearing his clothes?" she asked.

"I took a shower," I said, only answering the last question.

"Take it off," she growled.

"I'd rather not be completely naked," I countered.

"Where is Liam?" she yelled at me.

"Hell if I know," I shrugged. If she wanted to be mad over something that wasn't even my fault that was on her. She should have been talking to the one forcing me to be here in the first place. But of course, she would never blame him.