Chapter 5: New Beginnings

"This'll be yours room" Spot said leading me into a room with double bed on the far wall facing a window, a dresser on the left side of the bed and a night stand with a lamp on the right side. On the left wall there was a door leading into a bathroom.

"This is da bathroom" he said turning the light on in it to reveille another door on the opposite wall. "And this..." he started to say as he opened the other door, "... is my room." What! "We'lls be sharing this bathroom sweetheart" he said smirking at me. "So don't be gettin' any ideas." I glared at him.

"Is wouldn't even dream of it" I spat back narrowing my eyes at him. Spot chuckled at my sudden response. He then closed the door to his room, shut off the light, and walked towards the doorway.

"Follows me" he demanded. I set my pack on the bed and quickly walked to catch up. "This is da community bathroom and da other boys' room" he said gestering to the other two doorways in the hallway.

"Why do yous get your own room?" I questioned. Back in 'Hattan Jack didn't even get his own room, just me. Spot pivoted around to face me.

"'Cause I'ms Spot Conlon – King of Brooklyn. I gets whatever Is want" He said staringing me down. I glared at him again. Why is he so cocky? If he keeps it up I'll punch him square in the face – king or no king, I thought. I brushed the hair out of my face as Spot led me back to my room. "I'lls let ya get settled in" he said leaving me. "And dinner's at 6" he shouted back up the stairs. I glanced at the clock, only 4 more hours to go.

Once I unpacked my pack of clothes into the dresser, I head to the bathroom. I turned the light on and looked at myself in the mirror. Who was I?, I thought as tears stated to swell up in my eyes. For so long I have successfully hid myself. I was just another newsies, but now everyone knew - I'm not a newsie, I'm just a girl. What was I going to do? I contemplated, tears streaming down my face. After a few minutes of analyzing myself and my options I turned on the cold water faucet and splashed some water up in my face. No. You are Mys. I thought to myself. And you ARE a newsies. I dried my face and looked back in the mirror at myself. I grabbed a brush and began tearing through my hair that was terribly tangled. Once it was to my liking I loosely braided it, twisted it up into a bun and placed my newsie cap over it. Yes, I am a newsie.

I walked out of the bathroom and observed my room more closely. I pulled open the draw in the night standing, hoping to find something of interest, but there was nothing. I sat down on the bed, sighing. This is just fantastic. Interrupting my sarcastic thoughts, I heard whooping and hollering outside and headed towards my window. At the end of the dock I saw several boys lined up in nothing, but their underwear. What were they doing? I paid more attention. Two boys at a time jumped into the water in cannonball form. Where they seriously having a cannonball competition?, I thought as I walked back to sit on my bed. I looked all around my new room as the sounds from outside seeped in. After a few minutes, sighing, I heaved myself up off the bed and head for the door. Hell, it has to be more interesting than up here, I figured. I walked down the stairs and through the main room, heading towards the door.

Once outside I was surrounded by the smell of ocean and the warm breeze that drifted off of it. It actually was quite pleasant. Avoiding the large mass of newsies watching the cannonball competition, I head in to opposite direction hoping no one would notice.

"And just where do yous think yous going?" I heard Spots voice.

"Anywhere Is damn well please" I stated not turning around. I heard Spot chuckle. I then heard a thud, most likely Spot jumping down from his 'throne', and felt a tight grip on my arm.