31.

Eric's words really weren't very helpful. Any expectations I had of this possibly being a good day went down the drain.

My eyes shifted from face to face as we rolled into the parking lot. I was attempting to connect them to elements so I would know how to possibly retaliate if things really get down to fisticuffs. I was also looking for any signs of animosity, but all I could see were the faces of normal people stuck with Monday moods.

I sighed, stepping out of the car amidst the usual banter. You'd think Flo and Eric would run out of things to fight about. I must commend them on their determination to get under each other's skins.

"Guys,—" I whined, drawing their attention to me "—can you for once not fight?"

Eric and Flo exchanged glances as they slammed their doors shut. It was a few moments before the two sighed in unison.

"Fine." Eric grumbled, locking the car. "But only because it's your day." Lucky me.

Flo gave a half-hearted shrug. She draped an arm around my shoulders as a way of apologising. Then she yawned widely in my face.

I grinned. "Great. So, this means that you guys will help me fend off attacks all day. Or atleast be some meatsuits to help me brace for it."

"Well, that escalated quickly." Eric replied with an eye roll as he rounded the front of the car to walk with us. "I know you don't think much of us but I do have some skills."

Flo, meanwhile, covertly extracted her arm from around my neck and shifted to be on the other side of Eric and nowhere close to me. "I'm the healer. I'll support you guys from here."

"In a way, you're just padding her defenses." Eric spoke for me. "I mean, It's obvious that the two of us together could barely match up to her."

I turned slightly red, punching Eric lightly in the shoulder. "That's not true."

"It is." Flo piped up. "All those hours after school really paid off. I'm just glad you get to start spending time with us again."

My gut twisted. I was supposed to continue my Water Elemental training even after the Trials. I couldn't keep giving them the same excuse that I was too weak. I'd placed second in the Trials, nobody's gullible enough to believe that.

I gave an energetic nod instead of replying to that. I had no answer and I was a bit worried about what I would have to say or do to make them believe me when the time came.

"Hey, you're Fiera, right?"

A soft, hesitant voice pulled me out of hatching up devious excuses. I stopped where I was, feeling Eric and Flo halt too, to stare blankly at a guy I had never met before.

He gave me a wide grin before continuing. "Your fights were awesome! I was cheering for you all the way. Congratulations! You totally deserve it." He stuck out his hand after blurting all that out in a nervous ramble. Colour rose up his neck as he continued to grin at me.

This was awkward enough for the both of us so I didn't waste time staring at his hand. I immediately shook it, grinning back and thanking him for the wishes and cheers before continuing onwards with a cheerful wave.

That must have been the sign for people to start approaching. 'Oh, turns out the crazy Fire rookie won't burn us if we get close to her' was what I imagined went through people's mind as they saw that awkward interaction. For the rest of the way to class, I was hounded by people wanting to wish me. By the time the first bell rang, I hadn't had a single death threat about messing up their contender.

That hour was practically foreshadowing for the rest of the day. I felt great. People kept coming up to me and talking to me. No one was scared of me, I wasn't scared of anyone. It felt good to have one day where I could be normal. One day where I wasn't taking long routes or looking out over my shoulder for Elizabeth.