XXXVII. Don't Hold Back

Connie pulled her fingerless gloves onto her hands, thus completing the tactical suit that Skye had allowed her to borrow. Of course, Connie preferred her own suit, along with her own weapons, but the nurses and doctors back in Washington had probably thrown her suit away. A suit stained with blood and littered with bullet holes wasn't of much use to Connie, and her batons weren't of much use at the bottom of the Potomac. She did like Skye's suit, however; it was adaptable and flexible and it was also hooded, something of which Connie found herself to be very enthralled by.

"Wow, you look even better in that suit than I do," Skye's voice sounded.

Connie turned to look at the brunette, a small smile pulling onto her face. Skye had without a doubt become her favorite member on Phil's team, aside from Phil himself. It was so easy for Connie to talk to Skye, which was something she didn't experience much when meeting new people.

"I highly doubt it, but thank you, and thank you for letting me borrow it for the time being," she replied.

"It's better you being down on the battlefield than me," Skye chuckled. "I'd rather stay here where I can help navigate you and the rest of the team to Barnes. I can't even begin to imagine how he's feeling right now."

"Yeah, I'd rather not imagine that," Connie muttered.

Skye noticed the way her face dropped and frowned. Connie's feelings for Bucky were obvious simply by looking at her face, and Skye knew she felt what she felt deeply, as she could recall Phil telling her just how reserved Connie was in regards to her emotions. Phil told Skye that Connie possessed a particularly hardened exterior, which was something he believed had been constructed throughout the many years she had spent with Hydra. He had told her that it was rare for Connie to open up to people about her feelings unless they were of close relation to her. It took a very special kind of person to force Connie's emotions to the surface, and Skye figured that person was Bucky Barnes.

"You love him, don't you?" Skye said to her.

"More than I've ever loved anyone, which is why I hope you don't mind me murdering your little boyfriend for his actions," Connie said to her.

"Do whatever you need to do."

Connie reached out to grab the pistol on the table in front of her. Her brows furrowed as she looked over the weapon. It wasn't a regular gun, and Connie could tell simply by looking at it and holding it. It was a lot lighter than a regular pistol, though it still regained some weight. It was unlike anything she'd ever seen before.

"What exactly is this?" Connie inquired.

Skye looked at the ICER and chuckled to herself. "It's an ICER; Fitz designed them not too long ago. We use them instead of regular guns to incapacitate people. They're very effective and a lot less harmful than a real gun."

Connie raised the brow and further inspected the weapon before placing it in its holster. "So, you're telling me if I shoot Ward in the head with this, he won't die?"

"Precisely."

"Well, that's no fun."

Skye only laughed at her.

Just then, Agent Trip walked into the room, his head down as he focused on the tablet in his hands. The two women looked up at him; Connie raised a brow, while Skye's lips pulled into an amused smile.

"If it isn't Mr. Can't-Keep-His-Hands-To-Himself," Connie muttered under her breath.

Trip looked up from his tablet and glanced between the two women. "Phil sent me to retrieve you two. He wants you both in the briefing room with the rest of the team to go over the mission."