Chapter 35

Izzy POV

It had been nearly six days and according to Hayden, Rowan was hoping that they would be able to wrap everything up that evening and they could be on the road by nightfall heading for his territory. Of course as the days had drawn on and the realization of what the end of their time at Semper meant, nerves had started to take root in her gut. Every time they spoke about the trip to Silverblood territory – just hearing the name had her feeling dizzy – she became a ball of nerves and nausea. Cold sweats breaking out as she would start to hyperventilate, she thought she was doing a pretty good job of hiding it from Rowan - who had enough stress going on as he and Jackson continued to lock heads with the oldest and most stubborn members of the Jackson's pack. Apparently, Hayden had explained the day before, that they were the members that under the 'old ways' would have become councilors, and although that had been abandoned with the succession of Rowan's parents, a certain part of Semper refused to give up the positions and power they believed they were entitled too. It was creating quite the headache for the young Prince and Alpha.

So far, only Hayden and Derek had become aware of her continued anxiety and panic attacks, and she had sworn both to silence, they didn't like it, especially the lying to Rowan part whenever he managed to pick up on her feelings, but her threat was enough to keep them silent – for now at least.

"You really should tell him." Derek said again, his face screwing up in a scowl as he steadied her as she bent over, eyes closing in an attempt to ease the tightness in her chest. He was particular prickly about the whole 'keeping anything from your mate' nonsense.

"I told you Derek, he has enough going on without me adding to it." Izzy said between deep slow breaths.

"You're his mate! It's different, he'd want to know." Derek added, rubbing her back soothingly, even though displeasure coated his tone.

It hadn't taken Izzy long to warm up to the wolf, like Austin, his bark was worse than his bite – or at least for her it was. Underneath his stony exterior she found a loyal and very principled man, and over the past few days she had gotten quite a few lengthy lectures on mates and the role of them in their society and each other. He was not impressed that she was opposing the mate bond and keeping things from Rowan.

Hayden just made, what she considered could be taken as either a noise of either agreement or amusement, at Derek's continued argument. He was more accepting of her decision, Izzy thought it was because he had tasted the mate bond before and therefore understood the feel of its loss. He also looked at her differently now though, a new hope and light shone in his eyes, an easiness in shoulders that hadn't been there before. On the surface he spoke and seemed the same, but there was a feel in the energy around him that had shifted, it wasn't quite so dark and violent. That didn't mean he liked this one bit, every time she started to experience one of her attacks – which was more and more frequent as the days went on – he would become quiet, his arms crossing as he just watched her.

Feeling the tightness give a little, she straitened from her folded position, just as every time since the time she had collapsed to the ground her head spinning, Derek was quick to grab her hands steadying her. Being careful to go slow she opened her eyes, one at a time only to find Hayden watching her every move. Rolling her eyes at him she huffed and stuck out her tongue. "I'm not going to run you idiot." She said taking a few more deep breaths.

He made another noise and she rolled her eyes at him again.

"They're going to love you." Derek said, obviously still being able to scent her continued panic and unease.

"Yeah, yeah you keep saying that." Izzy said, trying to force her brain onto anything accept the idea of meeting Rowan's family. "But what do you know?"