Chapter 19: Push and Pull

I grinned as I walked up to the bench where I'd met Namjoon two weeks ago. He was sitting there, head back against the bench, snoring.

I sat down next to him and gently elbowed his side. "I'm here, sleepyhead."

He slowly lifted his head and opened his eyes. I grinned at the way he was blinking. "You know, Chunhwa, you could have let me sleep just five more minutes."

I laughed. "Sorry, Namjoon." I pulled my lunch out of my backpack. "I made extra kimbap today."

His eyes crinkled, and I wished his mask wasn't in the way of his smile. "I actually brought a bento box with me," he said. "Since you gave me some of your food last time."

"Good!" I said. "The more the merrier." I shoved the container of kimbap toward him as he shook his head with a smile, taking off his mask.

"Thank you," he said, taking a piece of kimbap. As he chewed, he dug through his bag for the bento box. "Here-" as he tried to hand the box to me, it slipped out of his hands and fell onto the ground. He sighed, picking it up quickly and examining it.

"It looks fine," I said.

He chuckled ruefully. "I guess it'll have to be." He set it on the bench between us and opened it. "Have at it."

I pulled my chopsticks out of my purse and took some rice. "Thanks."

"So what did you find out about the possibility of robbery?"

"Oh. The police officer said that nothing was missing from his body. So that crosses out robbery as motivation."

Namjoon looked at me, mind busy. "There are several other explanations, but none of them make much sense."

"Now you know what my problem has been for the past two months." I looked away, across the park. "Why? The ever-present question." The last few syllables were almost whispers; the tears were threatening again. Ugh! Not in front of someone!

His hand landed on my shoulder. "I'm sorry, Chunhwa."

I gave a long sigh. "Thanks."

Once I had regained control, I shifted and Namjoon took his hand away. Turning my head to give him a tiny smile, I asked, "Have you heard from Areum lately?"

"I've been talking to Areum pretty frequently since she broke up with Seulgi. I heard you'll be going with them on vacation at the end of summer."

"That's the plan, yes." I remembered the food and stuffed a piece of kimbap into my mouth.

Namjoon laughed. "You know your cheeks are puffed out, right?" I glared at him, but he only laughed harder. "So cute!"

I slapped his shoulder and worked to swallow the kimbap. "Oh just be quiet and eat!" He took some of the bento box.

I ate another kimbap, and he laughed at me. "Cute!" he said before taking another bite.

I sighed. "You know, Namjoon, you have a very flirtatious personality."

He looked shocked and pointed at himself.

"Yes you! I wonder what your girlfriend thinks about that. What was her name? Bayeong?"

He chuckled. "Boyeong. And we split up."

"Oh." I felt bad about teasing him about her. "Sorry."

"That's okay."