57; Advice, acceptance, and hallway talks

Zayn

I sit on my bed, reading through the hundreds of messages on my phone left by various family members, all asking what happened. I’m asking myself the same thing, really. I left the morning after Violet did, not saying a word and leaving really early. I couldn’t really face the others, because I know they’d blame it all on me. But I don’t think that’s a bad thing, because maybe all of this is actually my fault.

I chuck my phone away just as it starts ringing again and sigh. Then, before I can get even more miserable, the door bursts open and in flies Niall.

And I’ve never been so happy to see that little leprechaun before.

I leap up and tackle him in this huge hug, so relieved to not be alone anymore. Saturday night was horrible – just me and my thoughts in our dorm. I didn’t sleep at all. But now he’s here, Niall’s back. I feel like a hundred weights have been lifted off me. “NIALL!”

“ZAYN-O!” Niall cries, totally rolling with it and actually hugging me back.

I pull away and ruffle up his hair. “Thank god you’re back.”

Niall grins madly. “You missed me?!”

I move away from him, looking to the side. “Let’s not get carried away …”

Niall gives a sly smirk. “You missssseeddd meeeeee.”

“Okay, okay. Maybe. Just a little.”

“No fear, my pal. I have arrived.” Niall kicks away all his bags and then eyes me seriously. “How was it?”

I groan, moving back towards my bed. “Don’t ask.”

“But I am asking.” Niall sits across from me on his own bed. “I want details. I want it all.”

What do I say? What the hell do I even say? I just really don’t even want to talk about it, just forget it. I’ve been trying and it’s actually working. Well kind of. Actually, not really.

“It was fine. Yeah. Where’s Ave?” I slyly change the subject onto Niall’s favourite person ever.

“Oh, she’s at the gym. She’ll be back later, after she’s done her routine. She looks so cute in her gym gear, you should see her. She …” his face falls. “Oh, hang on. Did you just change the subject?”

Damn. “No?”

“Zayn. Did you kiss the girl or not?”

I find I have two choices, two paths to go down. The truth, or not. I can either forget about this whole thing and make sure no one ever finds out by just making up some story, or I can tell the truth. I can try and make it all work and let everyone know what happened. I think I already know the path Violet’s chosen.