Prologue

WARNING: I'm normally as soft and cute as a bunny rabbit, but my story is copyright, so if you steal it and pretend it's yours (this includes posting the book without permission in any form), I will come down on you like the hammer of Thor. Thanks, have a nice day!

Cover designed by the fantastical, amazingist 

What's Happening to Me?

I froze the first guy I ever kissed. And I don't mean he got cold feet...

We were sitting on his bed, his parents were out and the door was closed. I ran my fingers over the bumps in his feather comforter, looking everywhere but him. I could see him leaning forward from under the fringe of my bangs, and then his lips brushed mine gently, sending a delicious shiver coursing through me. I closed my eyes as the kiss grew deeper and million hyperactive butterflies danced in my stomach.

Was I doing this right? Could he tell how nervous I was?

No, his hands tangled in my hair, bringing me in closer. I loved the smell of him, the cologne and aftershave. I wished it would last forever.

And then it stopped.

I opened my eyes slowly. His hand was still grasping my hair, he was perfectly still, unblinking blue eyes staring at me.

"Adam?"

And then I noticed it. His lips were blue.

I gasped, trying to scramble away, held fast by my hair.

"Are you okay? Adam? You're scaring me, let go!"

A thin white network of shining crystals had formed on his cheeks, and when he exhaled his breath came at me in white puffs of mist that hung in the air. He didn't move or blink.

"Adam!" I twisted frantically in his grip, managing to extract myself, leaving him clutching a fistful of blonde hair.

He blinked, shook his head. Adam's teeth began to chatter.

"Megan? What..."

I was already turning for the door in panic. I wanted to put as much distance between myself and this weirdness as I possibly could.

That was the start of it, back when I was living in California, where I belong. Then my foster parents moved us to the frozen land they call "Canada", to some hick town named Grande Prairie. And that's when it all went to hell.