Chapter 42 ~ Superhero Big Brother

We head back into the living room as Mark grabs onto my hand. Dad was still asleep on the couch. I see Christian and Leo talking but stops when they see me.

"What's up?", I ask them.

"We gotta talk this through Josh. Your apartment is small. You'll need a bigger one", says Christian.

"That's fine. I'll look for another one", I say.

"No need. He'll come live with me. My house is huge", says Leo.

"No I can't ask you to do that Leo", I say.

"You didn't. I've made up my mind. You and Mark will come live with me, plus I've always wanted a little brother.", he smiles.

"Then it's settled. You'll live with Leo", says Christian.

"Leo are you sure?", I ask.

"Yes I'm sure", he smiles.

"Now we need a lawyer", says Christian.

"Lawyer?", I ask.

"Yes. If you were to get full custody of Mark, you'll need to go through some legal stuff. If you take Mark, that'll just be kidnapping", he explains.

"Good point", I say.

"We already have a lawyer", says Leo.

"We do?", asks Christian.

"Eric.. ", I say.

"Oh yes! Right. Eric is a lawyer", smiles Christian.

"Yeah it'll all work out", says Leo.

"So Josh. How about you get your little brother packed? Leo and I will take your dad to the nursing home. We'll get the paperwork done later", says Christian.

"Ok sounds good", I say.

"You're driving", says Leo handing Christian the keys.

Mark then led me upstairs to his room. We walk past my room and I get a bit nostalgic. I never thought I'd come back to this place ever again.

We enter Marks' room. His room was really small, there was one mattress on the floor, that's it... I recognize that mattress, it was my old mattress, old and worn out like it was passed on from generations before.

"Where's your stuff Mark?", I ask him.

"I don't have anything, just my clothes but they're dirty", he says.

When he said that I started hating my parents even more than I already do, I should have some old clothes in my room that would fit him, that's if they were still there. I wonder why Mark never used them?

I took him to my old room and tried opening the door but it was locked.

"Mom locked it cause she said I was not allowed in there and she always caught me sneaking in, so she locked it and kept the keys in her purse, she warned if I go back in there she would put me back in the closet. I don't like it there, it's cold", he says as his voice breaks.

"It's okay Mark. I won't let anyone put you in there ever again", I assure him.

"Thank you, big brother. I got a superhero big brother from Santa", he says excitedly.

I then took him to mom and dad's room in search of her purse.

"We're not supposed to be in here", he cowers.

"No, it's okay. They're not home", I say to him.

"No daddy's downstairs.", he says.

"Daddy's going on a vacation and you're coming on a vacation with me", I smile.

"I can't wait", he smiles.

I saw mom's purse and rummaged through it, I found pills, quite a handful of them. I then found a strand of keys and gave it to Mark.

"Here. Go open it.", I say as I lead him to my room.

He then went ahead and opened it. The room was just as I left it, untouched. It was filled with cold air and dark memories. I head to my dresser and dig through looking for something that would fit Mark.

"Go shower, Mark. I'll get you something to wear.", I say to him.

"Okay big brother", he smiles.

"Did you brush your teeth?", I ask.

"No. I don't have a toothbrush", he says.

"Then I'll get you one", I smile.

He then hurried to the shower as I continue looking for something that would fit him. I then found an old t-shirt of mine. It was my favorite one. I can't believe it was still here. This could definitely fit Mark.

He then came back into the rook soaking wet.

"That was too fast", I say to him.

"Mom always let me shower for a minute. She never liked waiting for me so she always said hurry up", he says.

I have a lot to teach this boy.

"Back into the bath", I say to him.

"But But", he says.

"No buts, come on get your butt back in there", I say.

I followed him into the bathroom as he started showering again.

"Soap up Mark. You have to shower clean", I say while standing by the door.

"Okay big brother, the water feels nice", he says.

"Showering is important", I say.

"It is?", he asks.

"Yes, if you don't shower then people will run away from you", I say.

"I don't want people running away from me", he says.

"Then make sure you shower clean okay?", I say to him.

"Okay", he says.

10 minutes passed and he finally came out.

"Let's go get you changed", I say to him.

We headed back to the room and I take his towel and started wiping him. I noticed he was wincing. I pull the towel and saw a scar on his abdomen. It looked fresh, along his body was scarred.

"Where did you get these scars?", I ask enraged.

"Mommy said don't tell anyone", he whispers.

I then hug him and changed his clothes. This poor child.

I put him on the couch and he laid on my lap. I played with his hair and he fell asleep. He reminded me so much of when I was a child. I'll protect you, Mark. I won't let anyone hurt you.