Chapter Eighteen: Break on Through

"Everything ok?" Holly asked Alaric as she handed him back his coat after Meredith had completed her examinations. Meredith had insisted on doing several tests in order to make sure that nothing was wrong with him.

Alaric nodded. "Yeah, everything is normal and that's because I didn't kill anyone or stab myself." He sounded frustrated. "Or I'm going insane just like your ancestor who wore that ring."

Holly quickly handed him back the ring. "Look the ring was made by a Bennett witch, maybe Bonnie can fix it."

Damon came strolling into the room and took one look at Ric. "Ready to ditch this house of horrors? Wow, you look terrible."

Ric gave a weak nod. "I'm just going to talk to Meredith be right back."

Damon cocked his head and looked at Holly. "Aw, what's wrong? Scowling doesn't make you cute you now."

"You know exactly what's wrong," Holly snapped. "Tell me do you enjoy torturing your brother, you know what being around too much blood does for him."

"I wasn't torturing him, Holly I was helping him." Damon corrected. "The only way that Stefan is going to be able to control the bloodlust is to take control. Besides you and Elena weren't supposed to barge in on our tutoring sessions."

Holly scoffed. "Some tutoring."

Damon shrugged. "Believe what you want, I am helping him in my own way." He walked towards his car. "Besides Stefan wanted me to tell you that he found another journal of Samantha Gilbert and he wanted to give it to you."
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Holly stepped inside the Salvatore's living room and paused when she saw Stefan drinking a glass of whisky. "Hi, how are you feeling?"

"Better." He paused. "How's Elena, I didn't mean-"

"Elena understands Stefan." Holly lied, but smiled when Stefan's face relaxed. "Damon said that you had something for me."

Stefan nodded as he handed her a leather bound book. "You don't have to read it though, I can just tell you what happened. I was there."

Holly paused and Stefan continued. "Samantha Gilbert was eventually committed to an insane asylum and she gave herself a lobotomy with a pair of knitting needles. If the same thing is happening to Alaric, there's nothing you can do."

Holly frowned. Stefan couldn't be right, could he? "Wow, kind of piece of morbid family history, but I have to at least try, Stefan. Alaric doesn't deserve this."
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Holly was growing more and more frustrated as she flipped through the pages of the journal which were getting her more and more worried. She didn't want Ric to go insane, she couldn't stand another funeral.

"Hey are you busy?" Alaric asked tiredly as Holly quickly hid the journal.

"No, what's up?"

Alaric pushed a piece of paper towards her. "This is a list of my bank accounts, my passwords, my will, just in case things don't go my way."

Holly pushed the piece of paper back towards him. "No, Ric don't think like that. Everything is going to be fine, I promise."

Alaric shook his head. "Don't worry about me, Holly. You don't have to worry about everything."

Holly felt a lump in her throat as his phone rang. "Hi, Caroline? Did Bonnie find something that can help?" Bonnie was still too upset to talk to her or Elena, but she knew that she cared about Ric as well.