3.

My mother called for my attention, letting me know that Tyler's family had arrived. I finished looking over my appearance in the mirror.

"I'm coming!" I hollered back. I picked up my phone that was resting on the table and made my way down the stairs, my mother met me halfway and linked her arm with mine, mumbling something to me under her breath.

"Why didn't you tell me Tyler's brother was back?"

"Didn't think it was important." I muttered back, in return my mother gave me a strange look- one that didn't tell me what she was thinking but it did tell me she must have known something I didn't. "Do you think it's important?" I asked, stalling our movements on the stairs.

"No, not at all." She fake-smiled and pulled me down the stairs and to the table where everyone was sitting. I took my place next to Tyler- who kissed me on the cheek as I sat down. Then we began eating, making small talk at the table, the main topic of conversation was Tyler and I's senior year.

"So, Luke, what brings you home?" My mother asked.

"I wanted to spend some time away from college, with my family." Lucas responded, almost as if it were rehearsed. From beside me, Tyler scoffed.

"If you can believe that." Tyler whispered. I nudged him with my elbow- I didn't believe Lucas' bullshit any more than those at this table but it doesn't mean I want to start arguments right here at dinner.

Lucas is sitting in front of me, he clenched his jaw and fists, gripping onto his knife and fork so tightly I thought they were going to snap. He looked up at me and I mouthed the word 'don't'. Lucas was about to mouth something back when my mother walked in.

"Sorry I'm late everybody." Mike, my brother, announced walking into the room and taking his seat on the other side of me. He kissed me on the forehead and looked around at the table, his eyes meeting Lucas and then glancing back at me.

"What did I miss?" He asked.

"Nothing much." I replied and we continued to eat our dinner, this time in silence.

Once everyone had finished eating we retired to the living room, where everyone talked whilst watching the television. Lucas watched over me as I stood next to Tyler, scrutinizing my every move- he had been doing that ever since our interaction at dinner.

"Ignore him." Bringing my lips up to Tyler's ear, I whispered to him.

"I'm trying." He gritted back. He walked away from me, sitting himself down next to my father and joining in the conversation between him and his own. Tyler was gone but his anger and frustration towards Lucas still lingered, hanging in the air like a thick fog. Seeing my new lonely status my brother walked over to me.

"Are you guys fighting?" Mike asked looking very concerned, he is a lot older than me and has always been very protective.

"What? No." I responded.

"Then what's going on between you two?" He questioned.

"Things have been tense ever since Lucas got back." I rubbed my eyes with my hands.

"Yeah I heard he was back."

"Who from?" I asked, confused- it's not like Tyler's parents publicly announced Lucas' return.

"The lads at the shop, they were talking about..." Mike trailed off looking over my face. "I don't remember." Liar.

"Riles, come over and show Louis the photos that you took." I walked over to my father, unlocked my phone and handed it to Louis aka Tyler and Lucas' father.