Chapter 22-Namaarie

The morning of the Elves' departure, Catalina stood at her window looking down at the city below. Today she would have to choose. Choose to stay in Asgard, or go back to Mirkwood. She sighed and put her forehead on the window. Her breath fogged up the glass beneath her mouth, and she groaned and fell back onto her bed. She hated decisions like this. They hurt both sides, no matter which one one chose. She could not win.
Catalina sat up at the sound of knocking on her door.

"It opens," she said and stood up.

"Princess?" King Thranduil appeared and shut the door behind him.

"My lord? I thought you were at breakfast." Catalina turned back to the window.

"I was. I wished more to speak with you," he came to stand next to her by the window. "I know you must choose today, and I wanted to let you know that no matter which side you choose, it will not matter. It is your decision."

Catalina continued to stare out the window. "You're wearing it," the king caught sight of the necklace he had given Catalina on the first day she had come to Mirkwood.

The princess quickly wrapped her fingers around the rose pendant.
"I know; it's pretty." She looked blankly out the window, her heart feeling torn between the two worlds.

"I wanted to give this to you, before I leave," the king pulled a silver band from one of his fingers and placed it in the princess's palm. Catalina looked down at it; it had a little aquamarine stone and little silver leaves holding it in place.

"To remember us, if you do not come back." The king's blue eyes were desperate, begging her to go with him. But she closed her fingers over the ring and turned away.

"Thank you my lord, but I don't know what I'll do."

"Whatever you choose my lady."
The king left the room, and Catalina looked once more at the ring. Why hadn't he kissed her?

She sighed and put the ring on her finger.

****

The air in throne room was heavy as Catalina walked through the doors. She had never felt so divided before, and the room seemed to reflect the division she had inside: her brothers and other royals stood on the right side of the throne room, and the elves stood on the left.

She knelt before the throne and put her fist over her heart. She still hadn't decided.

"Princess Catalina, today you shall choose your home. Where do you wish to go: Asgard or Midgard? Please make your decision." Odin watched as Catalina stood up and looked to her brothers. Thor and Balder looked hopeful, and Loki.... her twin...he simply watched. She could not leave him.

She then looked to the elves. Legolas swallowed, watching her eyes. Thranduil showed no emotion, but Catalina could feel his pleading eyes on her. She had to go back.
Catalina took a deep breath and closed her eyes....

"I choose Asgard," she opened her eyes.

A ripple of gasps and sighs of relief went through the room.
Catalina felt her eyes fill with tears as King Thranduil came to her. He touched her face, and kissed her on both cheeks; and Asgardian greeting and farewell. He took her hand and kissed it also, and turned away, his company following him out.

"Namaarie Manwathiel," he whispered.

As they left, Catalina saw Legolas look back at her. She put up a hand to say goodbye, but he turned to her and stopped. Queen Valadhiel put her hand on his shoulder, "Legolas, come along."

Legolas ripped himself from her grasp and ran to Catalina and crushed her in a hug. Catalina wrapped her arms around him, and her stoic expression broke. Tears flowed down her face, and she held him tight, wanting to never let go.

"Never forget us my friend," Legolas kissed her cheek.

"I swear I'll think of you every day," Catalina choked back her new tears and watched him go.

When the doors to the throne room closed, Catalina broke down, and sobbed into her hands. Her brothers held her, and reassured her until her tears of guilt and loss ceased.

In Mirkwood, there was an emptiness in the kingdom as the elven king sat down on his throne. She was gone, as fleeting as a dream is when one wakes up; but now she seemed almost unreal. But he knew she had been real, he had walked with her, once upon a dream.