Chapter 8

One month later....

Erica

I stepped out of the elevator and was about to go in my office when I heard my name being called. I turned around to see Ethan walking towards me. My heartbeat quickened.

"Hello Erica." He said. I greeted him in return.

"Ehm.... How is the work going on?"

"Its going well. I am really enjoying here." I replied.

"Good, see you later." He said and walked away.

What? Is that why he called me?

Of course why would he call me otherwise. I was slightly disappointed. I was expecting him to say something or start a casual conversation. Since that night in the bar one month ago things have been pretty awkward between us. He never talked to me anything besides work. Honestly what else could I expect. I tried talking to him, but he just gave me a cold shoulder. I am not a fool to go after him when he told me to stay away from him. Not directly, of course, but I know that when someone doesn't want you close to them they tend to avoid you instead of being rude and saying that to your face. Its just a polite way of saying 'I don't want to be seen with you so please stay away from me'. I learnt that a long time ago.

I realised that I was standing in front of my office, alone and watching the closed doors of Ethans office. I went in my office and got busy with my work.

By the time I was finished checking the budget of the new hotels it was already lunch time. I picked up my purse and went to the cafeteria. Alex was already seated there.

"Hey, what happened? Why do you look so annoyed?" Alex asked.

"Nothing its just that I am really confused about the hotels budget its too high and........." I replied.

"And?"

"What are you FBI? Stop interrogating me and lets order something.I am very hungry." I snapped.

She smiled unaffected due to my words. "Are you sure?"

"Alex." I tried to sound angry.

"Come on, I am your best friend you can tell me." She tried to plead me.

"There's nothing." I said with certainty. I didn't like hiding anything from Alex but what could I say to her when I, myself was in a deep confusion.

The rest of the lunch past in talking about random things and then we left.

Ethan

I felt so stupid for behaving like that with her in the morning. How's the work? Seriously? I really need to think of something.

'Date.'

Yes, I'll ask her for a date. I'll take her to a nice romantic place. Yes! Perfect plan. I'll ask her out today itself.

I checked the time it was about time she left. I quickly rushed down towards the parking. I stood besides my car waiting for her. After a few moments she came towards her car. I noticed she had a very nice car. Impressive. I though to myself. She seemed oblivious to my presence. I called her out.

"Erica!" She turned around.

I confident steps towards her. "Are you leaving? "

"Yes."

I took a deep breath and spoke, "Look Erica I know I have been behaving different this past few weeks and I am sure you must have noticed it and I have been meaning ask you for a few days now but I didn't know how you'd react so..." She was looking at me with a raised eyebrow. I continued, "Erica, will you go out with me on Sunday?" I asked directly looking into her eyes.

Her eyes widened and she looked taken aback. Did I say something wrong? She looked away.

"Ethan, I'm really sorry but I already have plans, and one more thing, you are my boss and I am just your emoloyee. It would be better if we keep things professional. If you don't have anything else to say then please excuse me." She slide in her car and quickly drove off.

I stood there for some time unable to digest the fact that she rejected me. I never expected her to be busy on Sunday. Of course, she must have other plans. I just assumed her to be free, and what did she say 'proffessional!' I really thought that she felt something for me like I feel for her.

I went home and took a long shower
I was very much angry at myself, I mean how could I just assume things. I know it is selfish of me to think that she would just cancel all her plans to go out with me. But whom is she going out with? Is it Mr. Hales? I saw the way he looks at her in the office. Or is it Nick? I am going crazy with all these thoughts. It could be Alexendra, her best friend or her family. Yes, it must be one of these.

---*-*-*---

Vote
Comment
& Share