Chapter 1: Arriving in New York

"(Y/N)!" I hear Newt's voice whisper and I snap my eyes open, my vision coming into focus. I look around and see the the shoreline of New York and the Statue of Liberty. "Oh!" I exclaimed as I look over at him, smiling. He smiles back at me and at that moment I heard a click sound. Newt turns around and grabs his suitcase and closes it then places it on his lap.

"Dougal..." He whispers to the suitcase, leaning in towards the case. I smile as I hear claws scratching inside the case in response.

"You settle down now, please." He whispered with more clawing in response.

I leaned closer to the suitcase and whispered. "It won't be long." Newt smiles as he folds his arms over the case and lays his head over them and looks out towards the shore.

Finally, the ship stops and we start walking through the bustling crowd. "Next." The Customs Official said and Newt and I approach the man. We hand the man our passport and he examines them. He looks up at us and I notice out of the corner of my eyes, Newt is looking off to the side not looking at the man, which is understandable. Newt is usually not very sociable with people.

"British, huh?" The official asked us.

"Yes." Newt mumbled as I nod.

"First trip to New York?" asked the Official.

"Yes, sir." I replied.

"Anything edible in there?" He asked gesturing towards mine and Newt's case.

"No." We replied as Newt moves his hand towards his breast pocket.

"Livestock?" The man asked.

I shake my head as I hand over my case. He opens it, examines the contents then gives my case back. "And you?" The official asked Newt and, again, the catch on Newt's case opens again.

Newt looks down and hastily closes it. "Must get that fix---ahh, no." Newt replies as he sets his case on the desk and I see him flicks the dial, switching it to muggle worthy. The official spins the case towards him and examines it.

Finally satisfied, he closes the case. "Welcome to New York." The official said. "Thank you." We replied as we gather our passport and suitcases and exit through customs.

Few minutes later, we start walking along on the street of New York; Newt clutches a small piece of paper with directions but he, like me, looks around the environment around us.

As we continue, we hear a crowd of people shouting. Intrigued, Newt and I approach the group of people crowding around the steps of a building with a banner that said the New Salem Philanthropic Society with a symbol of hands proudly grasping a broken wand amid bright yellow and red flames. I look at the banner with both concern and interest as a woman stands up on the steps and shouts.

"This great city sparkles with the jewels of man's invention! Movie theaters, automobiles, the wireless, electric lights--all dazzle and bewitch us!"

Newt and I slow down as we observe the people around us. While making our way to the front of the crowd, I accidentally bump into a woman. "Oh....so sorry." I said to her as I turn my head to face her and see that she has her hat low over her face and her coat collar turned up.

"But where there's light is shadow, friend. Something is stalking our city, wreaking destruction and then disappearing without a trace....We have to fight---join us, the Second Salemers, in our fight!" The woman said.

"Excuse me, doll, just trying to get to the bank--excuse me--just trying...." I hear a man behind us say then he trips over Newt's case.

"Oh my goodness." I said as Newt and I help the man up.