ASSENT

Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls...

It is my great pleasure to present to you Part II of the FRISK Saga - Assent.

Written, in my real name G.C.Richardson, and in collaboration with my fellow Wattpad writer and friend, 'Downey's'

Sit back, relax and enjoy what is sure to be another rollercoaster ride...

(Emma's POV)

The contrast of the air conditioning in comparison to the stifling heat outside made me shiver. Rubbing my arms, glancing once again at my watch. Not again. This was becoming something of a habit. Sighing, I shuffled down in my seat, trying to get comfy on the hard plastic chair as the dull ache in my lower back radiated down the tops of my legs. I was getting increasingly impatient. I had found myself sitting alone, a grown belly, sitting anxiously for my Mark to walk through those same doors, the need to get up and walk and stretch my legs from their pain itching at my thoughts.

The sound of the double sliding doors hissing open made me look up in time to see a familiar figure stroll, all confidence and self control, into the room and cross to the reception desk. For a moment I took pleasure from simply sitting here watching him, not making myself visible to him. Surprisingly, given the temperature outside, he was dressed in dark jeans and a black leather jacket, a grey V-neck beneath, aviator sunglasses and mussed up gelled hair which all combined to give him a sharp edge. (Along with his aftershave that I could smell from here!) This was the same man I would see dressed in tie and suit awaiting for my steps to come down to the alter in a few months time. But now he waltzes in looking manly and full of glory, as here I am, sitting in stretchy pants and an over sized hoodie with one too many emotions, waiting. He spoke to the receptionist for a moment then, lowering his mirrored glasses, looked around the room until he spotted me.

"How..." He leaned over and kissed me. "...Are you doing?" I made a show of looking at my watch as the lady beside me moved into a seat further down, allowing my dashing companion to sit down beside me. "You are late. Again." I hissed, aware that I was in a prissy mood due to being bored, tired and incredibly uncomfortable. Still. He was late, once again. "The Inquest ran over, Baby. What can I say?" I eyed him critically. "You held an Inquest dressed like that?" He snorted, smirking. "Well no clearly not. I was suffocating in that pinstripe. No, I called home and changed. Anyway. I am here now so why the long face? I haven't missed it have I?"

"No not this time." I shuffled in my chair, leaning forward to rest my elbows on my knees. "Still giving you trouble?" He asked gently, rubbing soothing circular motions at the base of my back. (much to the envy of most of the other mums-to-be in the waiting room. Oh he knows how to please a crowd!) "Just a bit." I moaned, again glancing at my watch. His soft hands soothing me from my thoughts and pain, a slight shiver ran down my spine as he shifted closer to me. A split second later, the electronic beep of a name flashing up on the computerised notice board announced it was our turn to head down to room S3. Mark helped me to my feet, then picked up my bag, indicating for me to walk ahead. Forever the gentlemen.

The scan room was stifling warm, making me feel a little light headed as I walked across to the bed. The doctor noticed me sway a little. "Did they take your blood pressure in the waiting room?" I nodded that they had, which seemed to pacify her enough to concentrate on the task at hand. "How are we doing? It says here you have been having a little discomfort, is that right?" A little discomfort? Ridiculously, I felt on the verge of tears. "Yes. Its more than just discomfort, it is agony, constantly." Mark, clearly uncomfortable, being so out of control, he cleared his throat behind me. "Hop on to the couch and we'll take a look at what is going on. Baby is probably laying awkwardly on a nerve or something. How far along are you as of today? 36 weeks 5, it says here. Does that sound right to you?" I nodded, gasping as she squirted unnaturally cold gel on to my huge stomach.