Chapter 50: Another First Date

* This chapter is based on the video above - check it out!

"Morning guys!" I said, walking into the crowded kitchen as everyone was trying to make breakfast.

"Coffee?" Wanda asked, picking up a mug and pouring me some without waiting for an answer.

"Thanks," I yawned. As grateful as I was that Hank Pym and his daughter Hope were willing to let us all stay here indefinitely, if I had to spend one more night sleeping on the lumpy couch in the living room, there was no way coffee was going to cut it.

"Long night?" she asked. I nodded my response, letting the drink warm my body from the inside out, instantly making me 10 times more alert and ready for the day.

"Morning," Bucky said, making his way over to me and kissing my cheek, looking much more put together than I currently did.

"Sleep well?" I asked.

"Anything is better than being frozen for 70 years," he answered with a lazy grin.

"When does Natasha get in?" Steve asked, trying to hide his smile as he said her name. After helping us to escape from Stark's team at the airport, Nat had gone into hiding, not telling anyone where she was staying. But now that Stark had, somewhat, forgiven us (well, the majority of us. It was clear that he'd never be able to forgive Bucky for what he did all those years ago) she was able to come home and not worry about being caught. Not that escaping from the Raft wasn't a criminal offence, but Ross had been convinced to look the other way as long as we stayed out of trouble and didn't bring anything else to his attention. In other words, we had to lay low and not be involved in any drama.

"Tonight. Don't worry, she's looking forward to your date," I grinned. Nat and Steve were taking a leaf out of mine and Bucky's book and trying to make a go of it as a real couple. Tomorrow was their 'real couple' first date.

"Hey, have you contacted Jessica Jones yet?" Steve asked suddenly.

"Who's Jessica Jones?" Wanda asked.

"A PI," I answered. "And no, not yet." I looked away awkwardly, not wanting the Jessica Jones conversation to continue.

"Why not?" he asked as Wanda and Bucky's eyes focused on me.

"I'm... gonna use the bathroom," I said, making a swift exit and running up the stairs. I found the first bathroom and locked the door, sitting on the floor and leaning against the bathtub. After a few moments, there was a hesitant knock at the door. "Someone's in here," I said, as if that fact wasn't already obvious due to the door being locked.

"It's me," I heard Bucky say from the other side of the door. I opened it immediately.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Is everything OK?" he asked softly, coming in and shutting the door behind himself.

"Everything's fine," I plastered a smile on my face. He sighed and cocked his head to the side, staring at me. "What?"

"This is about Jessica Jones, isn't it?" he asked.

"I... Look, Ross said we have to stay out of trouble. Going to find a private investigator that none of us know, to track down a woman that I haven't seen or heard from in over 13 years is the definition of trouble."

"Flying around the world to look for a Super Soldier with a metal arm who was on the run was the definition of trouble. What makes this different?" he wondered.

"This is different because... I was just helping Steve. If we failed or succeeded, it would impact him the most. This... this is all about me. What if Jessica Jones can't find her? Or what if Layla Miller doesn't want to see me, like Pym said?" I questioned, remembering my first meeting with Scott Lang, when he'd passed the message on from Pym that Layla Miller wanted nothing to do with me.