75|| King to G1

75|| King to G1

July comes quickly with the summer daze upon them, days being spent in comfort after the war--which continues to take its toll on their mindset and sleep.  Every night, at least one person awakens the others through nightmares, more often Harry though often with Hermione as well.  It came as a shock, really, when Tom Riddle experienced one himself, even shouting in fear before being shook away by a worried Hermione.  Still in that daze of questionable reality, he had clung to her like a life-raft in stormy seas, refusing to let her go even at Molly Weasley's insistence.  It had only happened once since that time, but in both instances, Hermione stuck through the night with him at her side.

But the daytimes are far happier--the nights being a reminder that they will never fully recover--as company spends time in conversation, playing Quidditch, and performing chores to help the Weasleys.  Hermione visits her family on more than one occasion, Tom joining her at least half the time with Harry and Ron.  Arthur Weasley returns to his job in the Ministry, elevated to one of the leading roles due to his good works during the War with Voldemort, now providing more than enough for his family.

Painfully for Hermione, Harry and Ron decide against returning to Hogwarts for the following school year, instead taking Kingsley up on his offer for an Auror position.  And though she understands their decision, Hermione pleads with them for two complete weeks leading up to their denial of admission to Hogwarts in the fall.  After so much time spent together--no more than in the previous year--it feels like the world's shifting beneath her feet, having lost the foundation of her friends.  They comfort Hermione and remind her that they will visit, but she cannot help devoting her time to them while they're still together.

Fred and George return to their shop on Diagon Alley, its business now booming due to the genuine need of distraction in the troubled time.  Like his father, Percy begins his work at the Ministry, though his mindset is changed from the year prior.  Charlie is still training dragons in Romania, but makes more of an effort to visit, realizing now how he could have lost his family so easily.  And Bill and Fleur are over quite often, the female being pregnant, often coddled by Molly Weasley herself.

Along with Neville, Ginny, Luna, and Draco, Hermione and Tom enroll themselves in Hogwarts for a seventh year.  Although he was practically done with Seventh Year and knows more than most professors about magic, Tom Riddle cannot part with the school and follows after Hermione when she commits herself to re-enrolling.  And though it will be different this year--with Harry and Ron becoming Aurors--Hermione knows she'll find the comfort of home at Hogwarts and preoccupation with other friends in her year.

With plans coming into fruition and finality, it becomes a burden on their shoulders, and the Golden Trio-plus-one wish to flee the premises of the Burrow.  And yet, with the number of papers being written on the Trio--declaring them national heroes--and the controversy of Tom's existence and association with them, none of the four can leave without being attacked by reporters.  It's just easier to stay where they are.

And yet, the living is mundane and not nearly as reinvigorating as it was at the beginning of summer.  Tom remembers it all as he reads on the Weasley's porch the second day of July, Hermione at his side but with a lighter read in-hand.  The boys and Ginny are currently practicing Quidditch for the upcoming season and simple entertainment, having long relinquished the wish for Hermione and Tom to join them.  Never did they expect another person to hate Quidditch as much as Hermione, but she and Tom are practically soulmates.

From the corner of his eye, Tom perceives the fluttering of wings, his head rotating to encroach upon an unfamiliar owl at the kitchen window, its pecking becoming a pestilence to the cooking Molly Weasley.  He's almost humoured to see her yank the two letters from the owl's mouth--obviously perturbed--but Molly's own voice snaps him from the summertime daze, "Tom and Hermione, you have letters!"