The Job Ain't Glamorous

Newt's POV

I knew my niffler and a number of other creatures were still out there. I couldn't stay at the Goldstein's apartment for long. But, Jeanne needed rest.

We were all sat down at their dinner table.

Jeanne sat quietly, hunched over

Jeanne sat quietly, hunched over. She had eaten a lot; that Salemer woman must've had her tied to the post for three days at the least.

Queenie had given her a new set of clothes that hung loosely around her. She was so thin her ribs were visible even through her shirt.

I was really just ignoring the conversation. I found myself staring at Jeanne's bandages that shown through her shirt, then glancing away quickly when she'd look up.

Jacob, on the other hand, seemed to be getting along famously with Queenie.

"The job ain't glamorous," Queenie said. "I mean, I spend most days making coffee, unjinxing the john . . . Tina's the career girl." Queenie seemed to read Jacob's mind. "Nah. We're orphans. Ma and Pa died of dragon pox when we were kids. Aw . . ." She stopped, reading Jacob's mind again. "You're sweet. But we got each other!"

"Could you stop reading my mind for just a second?" Jacob asked. "Don't get me wrong— I love it."

Queenie giggled in delight, captivated by Jacob. I rolled my eyes and smiled at him.

"This meal— it's insanely good!" exclaimed Jacob. "This is what I do—I'm a cook and this, like the greatest meal I have ever had in my life."

"Oh, you slay me! I ain't never really talked to a No-Maj before," said Queenie.

"Really?" Jacob asked.

Queenie and Jacob stared into each other's eyes for and extended amount of time.

I looked across the table awkwardly to Tina

I looked across the table awkwardly to Tina. I then glanced over at Jeanne who locked eyes with me. I offered a small smile. Jeanne blushed and looked back down at her food.

Queenie looked over at the exchange between Jeanne and I and grinned. She then went back to looking at Jacob.

"I am not flirting!" protested Queenie to Tina.

"I'm just saying—" Tina started, clearly embarrassed. "Don't go getting attached, he's going to have to be Obliviated!" Tina turned to Jacob. "It's nothing personal."

Jacob suddenly turned quite pale and sweaty again, although seemingly still trying to look good for Queenie.

"Are you okay, honey?" Queenie asked Jeanne.

My eyes turned to her. Tears were rolling down her face silently.

"Oh, it's okay, hun," Queenie said, taking her hand. Jeanne looked up at Queenie shyly. "We like you here! Especially Mr. Scamander."

I briskly stood up from the table which made my chair screech and cut through the silence of the dinner. I awkwardly stood behind my chair.

"Miss Goldstein, I think Jeanne and Mr. Kowalski and I could do with an early night. And besides, Jacob and I will need to be up early tomorrow morning to find my Niffler, so—"

"What's a Niffler?" Queenie mused.

"Don't ask," said Tina. "Okay, you guys can bunk in here."

Tina had brought us to a bedroom with two beds. "Yes, I know there's three of you and two beds so I can bring some blankets if one of you opts to sleep on the floor. Sorry," she added.

"Oh, no, Tina," I started. "It's quite alright. I can sleep in my case."

"Oh, okay then," she said, then walked out of the room.

Jeanne entered the room silently and hunched over. I could see that her balance was still off by the way she walked. She kept her hands out in almost a crawl as she bent over to walk, fingertips just skimming the ground when she wobbled.

"Here," I said, offering my arm. Jeanne stood up straighter and grabbed on to my shoulder with an barely audible, "Thank you," as I walked her towards the bed. Jacob politely turned down the covers on the bed for her then plopped down on the other bed.

Jeanne climbed into the bed and I tucked her in with a smile. I placed my self on the edge of  her bed. "You'll be alright," I said.

Jacob pulled out a book on the bedside table and was keeping himself amused with the moving pictures. A knock came from the door and Tina entered, carrying a tray of hot cocoa. The mugs were stirring themselves and Jacob was captivated once more.

"I thought you might like a hot drink?" Tina asked. She handed Jacob a mug. I did not look up, keeping my eyes locked on Jeanne, who had drifted off.

"Hey, Mr. Scamander—" said Jacob. "Look, cocoa!"

 "Look, cocoa!"

I didn't move.

"The toilet's down the hall to the right," said Tina. She shut the door behind her.

I immediately jumped from the bed and placed my case on the floor. I walked down inside it, popping my head out to see a surprised Jacob.

"Uh, if Jeanne needs me, o-or if you need me, I'll be down here. Just knock," I said. Popping my head out once more,

 Popping my head out once more,

"Goodnight," I said quickly.

"Goodnight, Newt," I heard Jacob say as I shut the case.