Chapter Twenty-Two

• Dedicated to Rebecca

                                              Chapter Twenty-Two

                     ~~~~~Alex – Don't Judge a Book by its Cover ~~~~~

Please I’ll do anything!” I say grabbing my hair in despair. The nurse looks at me weirdly but keeps writing down the information from the monitor into my chart. I bring my knees to my chest rocking back and forth. She already allowed me to change into some jeans and a t-shirt why not allow me to go outside? Is that really too much to ask?

The Smith’s had left along with Kylie since visiting hours were over. They promised to come back for me and take me home. I’ve been inside these 4 walls for over 12 hours! That's 12 hours of my life wasted inside this hospital room. I watched the history channel and then a novela (Spanish Soap Opera) but turned it off when my favorite character was killed by the villain. Typical. 

“Come on please, I’ll use a wheelchair if you want, or I’ll even let someone drag me in this bed. I just need to get out of this room and do something.”I stopped rocking back and forth like a maniac and tried to reason with the woman. I had yet to know her name since I spaced out when she told me.

‘You do realize she has a name tag, don’t you?’ Of course I did! ‘No, you didn’t’ yeah I really didn’t.

She thought about it for a second and smiled while I looked at her nametag. See her name is Catherine. 

“We have music time for the kids with cancer if you want to join them.” Catherine says putting the chart back on the end of the bed.

I get the covers off my body and jump out the bed raising my hands in the air in triumph. I can finally leave this awful room. The pain brings me to the reality of things; I have a broken rib that is threatening to tear me from the inside out. The nurse runs to me concerned when noticing that I was holding my side with my eyes closed trying not to scream.

“I’m fine just got a little too excited there for a second. So can I really get out of this room?” I ask her not really believing it. 

“Only, and I mean only if you let me take you in a wheelchair.” She says eying me seriously. I smile and nod my head violently. Anything to get me out of this room. The nurse leaves and comes back with a wheel chair. I frown at the thing,  but get on once Catherine pats the seat. She fixes the chair and smiles at me when seeing my eager face.

“You ready?” She asks getting behind me. "I was born ready." I tell her.

She pushes me through the corridors to the cancer wing of the hospital. I look in awe at the enormous hospital and it's technology. The nurse waves and smiles at everyone who passes us. They all seem to know her and wave back all addressing her.

"You are pretty well known around here aren't you?" I ask her when getting into an elevator. She smiles but says nothing.

We get off the elevator and make our way to another room where kids are not sounding so happy. I look back at Catherine to ask her what's wrong but she has the exact same confused look on her face.

"What's going on?" She asks a female doctor as she takes me to a table and parks me there. The doctor gets up from the tiny blue chair and sighs.

"Doctor Henderson and Gomez are operating on a critical patient who just came in, so we can't have music time since no other doctor can play the guitar, sing, or dance. I mean that's why we became doctors for crying out loud." The young doctor looks down not wanting to face the kids.

I look at their faces and almost cry. They look so depressed and not just because some don't have hair and suffer from a terrible disease. When I can no longer stand to see their sad little faces, I take the break off the chair and wheel myself the doctor. 

"Do you have a guitar?" I ask her. She nods and points to a guitar on the crafts table. I get off the wheelchair and pick up the guitar. I pull the strap over my head and let out a breath. The nurse gets up but I stop her and tell her I'm fine so she sits back down.

"Now I am no Doctor Henderson or Doctor Gomez, but I play a little guitar and I'm sure we have some great singers and dancers in this room." I look at their faces they no longer look depressed but now look happy even eager to hear me sin to them.

"Can you play the wheels on the bus?" Asks a little girl with hope in her eyes. I walk up to her and bend down. She smiles at me when I put the guitar on my knee and start to strum the song.

"The wheels on the go-" I stop singing and urge her to sing along. She gets up and brightens the entire room with her grin. Everyone joins us and sing at the top of their tiny lungs. 

The patients, visitors, nurses, and doctors outside stop and look at us through the window that almost takes up the entire wall. They laugh at me when I get back on the wheel chair and the nurse pushes me while I continue singing and the kids walk behind us in a line.

"Can you sing one more song?" the same little girl asks after the applause starts to die down. I raise my eyebrow at them.

"You all showed me you could sing, so I want to know if you guys can dance." The kids all look at each other and get in a circle literally putting their heads together. I wait patiently along with everyone. They all clap their hands together in unison and turn to face me when they have made a decision. 

"The only way you will see us dance, is if you also show us what you got." says the little girl getting approval from the other kids. I think about it for a second and nod. Sounds fun. I extend my hand to close the deal.

The little girl gives me a firm handshake and goes back to where the rest of the kids are. They shake a little getting ready and when they are the give the little girl a thumbs up signal.

"Hit it Phil." the girl says raising her hand in the air. Phil presses the power button on the stereo and a hip hop songs blasts through the speakers. All the kids cross their arms and lean on their side looking very intimidating.

I turn to look at the nurse who only laughs at me. 

What have I gotten myself into?

The kids separate and face each other, half on one side and half on the other. One kid jumps out the crowd and starts to move like crazy. He spins on his hands and then on his head. All of the sudden he falls flat on his floor when the song ends.

I can feel my jaw drop to the floor as long with everyone who just witnessed this. I stand up and cheer for him like a fool.

The little girl goes up next and is not alone, two other little girls go with her as a new song comes up. The little girl steps up singing to Domino by Jesse J. I look at her in awe as she moves her hips and dances like no sick little girl should dance. The other two girls are close behind doing their own little dance together in perfect sync.

To finish the dance they all get in a circle again and fall to the floor leaving the little girl standing in the middle with her hands crossed over her chest.

'you got served, by little kids, little sick cancer kids.' oh shut up will you?

The kids help themselves up and approach me congratulating themselves. "So show us what you got." The little girl says poking my chest with her finger. I look down at her finger poking my chest and then at her with a raised eyebrow. These kids aren't playing.

"Alright, alright. Hold on to your pretty little minds cause I'm about to blow them." I tell them getting up. I reach into my pocket and get out the phone Rachael left me yesterday. I start to go through the songs and stop when I find the perfect one. I walk up to the stereo and pull the cord so I the music can be heard all over the room. I then take a deep breath and stretch out my body without stretching my sides. When I roll my head I finally press play. 

The instrumental part starts first, so I do some random slow moves with my hands and feet. I still have my back to them so when the piano part of the song ends, I turn around and face them doing moves that only gets me applause and cheers.

I smile approaching the little girl and sing to her. 

"I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired 
It's you that I'm missing 
It's like my brain is wired up 
and there's a glitch in my system 
You're like a drug and now my blood won't stop itching." 

They all cheer when I act out the song word by word. I move across the room all their eyes following me wherever I go. The little girl has her mouth wide open as she stares at me.

"I'm in critical condition 
someone let me out of this prison 
It's like my mind is playing tricks on me lately 
I could of sworn that you are still my baby 
I'm on a merry-go-round 
going around, driving me crazy."

I go around the little girl using a foot shuffle I learned a few years ago. She just smiles while I continue to do my moves around her. I decide to do a tricky move and hope it doesn't blow up in my face or kill me in that matter. I go to back to the center of the room and grab my right foot in front of me. This causes a little pain but I bear it. I then take a deep breath and jump only to bring my left leg over my right and land perfectly. I smile at myself for surviving and continue to show them who exactly they messed with. 

"That's why it feels like 
losing you is like somebody just turned all the lights off."

I grabbed a little kids hat and passed it from arm to arm throwing it in the air and have it land on my face while walking touching their faces not seeing anything. They laugh at me yet again.

"won't somebody, anybody 
please just turn the lights on." 

The little girl takes the hat off my face when I get on my knees in front of her putting my hands together. I get up and continue taking a very slow step and do some tricks with my hands.

"I won't take one step 
I can't see what's coming next 
losing you is like somebody just turned all the lights off 
can,t see at all (at all, at all, at all) 
can't see at all (no, oh no) 
can't see at all (at all) 
cause it's like somebody just turned all the lights off."

I continue to dance and sing but stop when I see her face. My entire body freezes when I see her. Her face pops out the crowd. Her sundress lightens the room. Her eyes rest on me. I stop breathing  and stare at her not knowing what to do or if she's actually there or if it’s just my imagination.

When she smiles that damn dashing my way, my lights literally go off.

                                         ~~~~~ Kylie - It's all worth it ~~~~~

She couldn't take it anymore. Her entire body was screaming at her to go see her girl. She needed to see her girl. Kylie tried to pay attention in her class, but she just couldn't. 

The numbers all spelled Alexandria Santiago

All the teacher said was Alexandria Santiago

All she thought about was Alexandria Santiago.

"Can I be excused?" Kylie asked her teacher when she had finally made up her mind. The teacher dismissed her and continued to teach his class as if he was never interrupted. Kylie eagerly packed her stuff. Her squad looked at her curious but Kylie didn’t care. She was going to see her girl. She and ran to her locker to put her textbooks away and get her stuff.

She ran the halls like at a lighting speed. Once she was at parking lot she stopped and saw the car. She took the keys out and stared at the car in awe. Mike had come to her this morning and told her that they couldn't find a way to drive her to school since Rachael had a client and he had an early meeting. Kylie said she would walk but they refused and threw her a set of keys. One key was a house key and the other was a car key. Kylie looked at them confused. Mike then took her to their garage and showed Kylie her new car.

Kylie looked at Mike as if he was the craziest man alive. There is no way Kylie could even afford a car like that. Mike of course did not take no for an answer and showed her the paper that had Kylie’s name on it. The Nissan Z350 before her was a shiny blue and Kylie could not stop starring at it.

Kylie had never had so much fun driving in her life. The car was smooth to drive and had the new car smell that she always wanted in a car. When she got to school everyone stared at the car in awe. When she got out the car, everyone had their eyes on her not believing it. Kylie just kept walking and pressed the lock button on the control. The car alarm sounded which put a smile to Kylie's face. Why did I get so lucky? Kylie asked herself entering the school building.

Now she was driving to see her girl. The streets were busy as it was rush hour. Kylie turned the radio up and lost herself while still keeping and eye on the road. Minutes later she was in front of the hospital. She made her way through the corridors taking her time all the sudden getting nervous. She desperately wanted to se her girl, but what if Alex didn’t want to se her? 

When she arrived at the room, Alex was not there. A million thoughts went through her head as she saw the empty bed. Panicked Kylie went to the reception desk and asked what happened to Alex. The lady told her a nurse had taken her to another wing of the hospital. Relief took over her body as she heard that the girl was alright.

Kylie didn't really understand the directions she was giving but knew she had arrived when hearing music and applause. It had become clear to Kylie that her girl was always the center of attention. Where there is a crowd cheering at the top of their lungs, Alexandria Santiago was in the cause of it.

She made her way to the front and watched in awe at her girl move. The girl had skills. Kylie rubbed her eyes not really believing her girl could actually do what she was seeing. 

Kylie smiled proudly. "That's my girl." She said to herself. When lifting her head Kylie stared back into the girls brown eyes. It took her a moment to notice that she wasn't dancing anymore. Kylie smiled at her girl finally getting a chance to see those captivating eyes shining instead of pained.

"Not again." Kylie groaned when she saw her girl fall yet again before her eyes. Kylie rushed over to the girl and lifted her body off the ground as gentle as the other two times. A nurse was by her side in and instant. Kylie looked at her girl and frowned at her. "I swear if you ever faint on me again-" she was cut off by the nurse asking who she was. Kylie turned to the nurse and told her she was a friend.

Someday I hope to be more. Kylie thought to herself looking at the girls peaceful face.

When they were at the room again, Kylie held the sleeping girl's hand and sat down on the chair. The doctor had done multiple tests to see if Alex had a concussion or internal bleeding. Thankfully Alex was one of the luckiest person Kylie had ever met, and had absolutely nothing wrong with her.

There was nothing to do in the room so kylie sat down on the chair and took a paper and pen from the stand. She drew the girls face. She drew the girls eyes and eyelids. The drew the girls perfect cute little ears. She drew those lips that have been hunting her dreams for weeks. And finally, she drew the girls crazy adorable dimples.

When done Kylie putt the drawing on the table and leaned to lay on the bed with Alex. They both slept for about an hour and a half. Kylie rested on the corner of the bed still holding the girls warm hand.

A dream had taken her on their journey together so far. Kylie relived all the moments she had spend with her beautiful girl. They were not that many, yet they were enough to make Kylie fall head over heels for the girl.The dream was one of the best she ever had. Her lips tingled as she remembered the kiss she stole in her room. There wasn't a day when Kylie wished she could do it again. Meeting the girl had changed everything. Kissing her turned Kylie's world upside down. 

She felt someone eyes on her suddenly feeling very self-conscious. Kylie could always feel when some one was watching her. She opened her eyes slowly blinking a few times. A pair of brown curious eyes were starting back at hers.

"Hey." Kylie said lifting her head and wiping her mouth to check if she had drool on it. That would be the last thing she needed.

"Shouldn't you be in school?" Alex asked sitting up a bit.

"Shouldn't you be resting?" Kylie countered raising her brow at the girl. An innocent smile came to her girl's face expressing those dimples of hers. Kylie's breath caught the second she saw her dimples. There was something about the face of the girl that got to her. She had been through it so many times, and yet couldn't come up with an explanation to what it was exactly about her face that made her so nervous to speak. She couldn't figure out why her knees got weak every time she saw her.

But the truth is Kylie knew exactly why; she was in love with Alexandria Santiago. Kylie never felt this way about Anthony or anybody. She never cared for anyone, not as much as she cares for Alex.

The seconds passed with nothing said between the two girls. They just stared at each other until Kylie noticed she was still holding the girls hand. With much effort she untangled her fingers from the girls not wanting for Alex to feel uncomfortable. Alex frowned at Kylie and then looked at her empty hand. 

"So will you go back to school?" Alex asked her looking straight ahead. Kylie looked at her and answer a faint no. The girl smiled again this time turning to face Kylie Reluctantly Kylie reached to touch her injured girl's lip. The girl gasped and looked at Kylie

"Does it hurt?" Kylie asked tracing the lip with her thumb. The girl shook her head slowly. Kylie kept looking at the girl but a fast beeping brought her attention to the monitor. Kylie looked at the girl's heart rate that was raising like crazy. A nurse rushed in and immediately went to Alex to check on her. Kylie removed her hand and let the nurse do her job.

"What happened?" the nurse asks checking everything. Alex stared blankly at the nurse. 

The nurse left when seeing that nothing was wrong with Alex. Kylie looked sown embarrassed. She had just touched the girl's lips. Her fingers still screamed from happiness begging for more. Kylie put her sweaty hands together not knowing what to do next.

                                             ~~~~~ Alex - What she Does ~~~~

I had a dream that she was here. I was in her arms. We were holding hands again. I saw her face in my dream. It was peaceful. Kylie looked beautiful with her sundress and blond hair flowing. God she does things to me that should be illegal.

She makes me faint every time she smiles at me. My knees get weak every time I'm close to her. I can't concentrate when I'm with her and miss her like crazy when she's away. 

'Dude you are so screwed.' But what can I do about it. She is not into me like I am into her. She would never be with me. 'you could get a sex change, then she would get the best of both worlds.' so not funny.

As I stare at her sleeping face so close to my own I can't help but imagine what it would be like to hold her, to kiss her.

Hey I say not really sure what she's doing here. I try not to stare at her for so long but it's almost impossible to do so. "Shouldn't you be in school?" I Said saying the first thing that popped into my head. Of course this backfires when she responded,"Shouldn't you be resting?" She did that thing with her eyebrow. I tried to look innocent but I know she didn't buy it so I gave her my full smile.

"So will you go back to school?" I ask her not daring to let her see my eyes knowing they would give me away. I was jumping with joy the second I felt her hand in mine. When I no longer felt her warmth my whole being wanted to scream at her to put it back. But I kept quiet and instead looked at the wall.

"Does it hurt?" Kylie asks surprising the hell out me when she touches my lips. Her fingers are gentle as they rub against my lower lip so smoothly and slowly. I can feel my heart racing a million miles per minute but only notice it when the nurse comes rushing into the room asking what's wrong. I stare at her not really sure why she's there or what exactly is going on.

When the nurse leaves I turn back to Kylie who is looking at the floor and rubbing her hands together. I get off the bed and walk to the bathroom. A gasp makes my head turn around. Kylie has her hands on her mouth. Her face is a beet red as she stares at me with wide eyes. I look down at my self only to see that I'm wearing the hospital gown not jeans and a shirt. I quickly cover my butt and turn around with my eyes closed. The monitor goes off faster than ever.

This time I take the thing out and run to the bathroom away from her. I let go of the gown and hit my head on the wall until it hurts. I let my body slid down the wall and put my head on my knees ashamed and embarrassment.

A few minutes later Kylie knocks on the door. She comes in when I give her permission. I still have my head on m knees so she sits down in front of me and lifts my head to face her.

~~~~~

In the spirit of Valentines Day I'm going to tell you a little story. It's called:

The day I met my favorite pair of shoes

Ok so you all know I have a girlfriend who I adore and who is currently on her bed laughing her ass off drinking MY Mt Dew. Still mad at her for that since she took it before I could take a sip. She says hi by the way, don't be rude say hi back.

If my parents ask, I was at school all day and then at my friends house, alright?

What was I saying, right OK so this fool calls me at 5:45 in the morning to tell me that she has a surprise for me. I take a shower get dressed and take the bus to school like I always do. I go to class and when the bell rings I get a text saying to go outside. when I see her in the schools parking lot she is leaning against her car with a red rose in her hands and a teddy bear beside her. This was a picture perfect moment; which is now on my phone forever since I took one once I saw her smile at me. I went up to her and gave her my gift: a kiss. In my defense I’m broke alright, and plus the woman doesn't like flowers or chocolates or teddy bears like any other regular girl. No she likes the simple things of life; me of course. :)

So we go to Ihop for breakfast and then she takes me back to school only to take me out again to lunch. She took me to a little place in the outsides of Wichita. We were eating and talking when all the sudden this guy comes up to us with a guitar and an orange rose and hands it to me. I just stare at him and then at Rebecca who is just smiling at my discomfort.

Next thing I know Bec is dragging me to the center of the restaurant and sings  l.O.V.E by Nat king cole. The guy played the guitar while she sang and danced with me. Needless to say, Alba Luz was the happiest girl alive right then. When we returned to our table she gave me a heart shaped necklace with our picture inside on one half and our initials on the other.

I thought that this was it, but no. The woman dropped me off to school again and got me when it ended. She took me to her place to watch some movies in her theater room. Nope you read right, my girl has a theater in her 3 story house. I swear I have never seen so many zeros in someone's bank account in my life. But that’s beside the point. We watched all these romantic comedies until she finally decided to take me to her room. Not to do what you are thinking you dirty minded person.

Inside her room was a candle lit table with rose petals. I was so shocked because she had gone all out for this day when she said that she hates all that. She sat me down for some wonderful Alfredo. Best Alfredo I’ve ever had. My woman can cook. When we were done we just cuddled in her bed. We did make sure all the candles were out before anything else would happen though cause we all know what candles are capable of.

But this is so not the story I wanted to tell you all today.

The real story takes us back  on a sunny afternoon in a shoe store...

On this day I was looking for a pair of shoes that would match a dress my mom had bought me for a Quinceañera (Sweet 15). We had gone from store to store looking for these damn shoes and I was extremely tired and irritated. My mom and I went our separate ways to see if we could find the shoes since we weren’t getting anywhere.

I swear I’m not making this up but when I was looking around, I saw a light that was honestly illuminating these shoes on the top shelf. I'm really not making this up, a bright light illuminated the shoes as if God was pointing at the shoes and telling me those were the ones. I was so excited; I had finally found the perfect blue shoes to match the dress.

I get on my toes and Just as I’m about to get the shoes, a hand gets there before me and takes them out of my reach. Now I’m a very peaceful person, but when I realized that someone had taken the shoes God himself had send me, I was about to beat the crap out of them. Very holy I know. When I got back to my feet I turned and face the person who had committed the crime. I took a deep breath and spun around ready to cuss the person out.

When I see the persons chest I let the air out and look up. All the anger left my body in a split second. She looked down at me and smiled. My knees got weak and I felt something in my stomach that I had never felt before. I forgot about everything and just stared at her for what felt like hours. In reality I only stares for 5 seconds. She was still smiling and looking down at me when I finally snapped out of it and lowered my head to say goodbye to the shoe. It was a lost cause. The girl was beautiful and deserved the shoes.

I turned around and left. The girl just stood there confused staring at me as I ran like hell away from her. My mom asked me why I was out of breath when I got to her, but I didn't know what to tell her so I shook my head and said that I had the hiccups and held my breath to long. She totally believed me and dropped the subject.

We still had no shoes and the store was closing so we decided to give up and leave. It was raining, it's Kansas people the weather is so bipolar, so my mom went to get the car first. Just as I’m about to leave a worker stops me, hands me a bag, and then leaves. I stare after him and then look inside the bag. I gasped when I saw the shoes. I looked around but no one was there. I took out the shoes and inside the box was a note.

"They will look better on you" 

This is how it begin; with a pair of shoes.

I know you'll all either going like “awww that’s so sweet!” or “I don't care just write about Alex and Kylie! That's the only reason I read this!”

now I gotta leave cause I got my girl in a king sized bed in only a pair of basketball shorts and a undershirt who is calling my name.

Oh and should I keep going this story or not?

Your decision, no pressure

- Alba Luz :^)