Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Sam

We arrived at the parking lot and immediately spotted the guards that were waiting for us. As soon as they sensed our presence, they made their way to where we were standing.

"Luna," a guard said, bowing his head as a sign of respect.

I nodded back at him, grabbing the hem of my shirt and fidgeting with it uncomfortably.

"The Alpha sent us to take you and the Female Beta back to the house, Luna." the guard continued.

I cleared my throat and whispered an 'okay' before following him and the rest of the guards back to a blue van.

We got in the van with Adriana talking animatedly about her brother with me listening and nodding at the right times. I didn't bother responding because why should I? She practically dragged me to see her brother against my will and didn't listen to me even though I'm her Luna.

"Sam? Sam! Oh my God, are you even listening to me? Geez, you need to listen to me more, girl." Adriana's voice broke my train of thought.

I snapped my attention back to her and nodded mutely.

"Hey, you okay? You've been really quiet ever since we got back from the woods." Adriana asked softly, putting her hand on my arm.

I stared at it for a while before gently removing her hand from my arm. I didn't want her touching me. It feels foreign and uncomfortable to have her touch me. I feel unsafe and vulnerable whenever I'm around her after what she did, just like how I always felt in my old pack. Right now the guards are the only ones that are keeping me sane.

"If this is about me dragging you to see my brother then you need to get over it. You need to be your own person, and not have your mate control you and tell you what to do all the time." She said in an annoyed tone.

I didn't respond. I kept my gaze straight ahead and tuned her out. I heard her sigh before finally giving up on trying to talk to me.

It was quiet during the whole ride. We didn't speak a word after that, and I had no problem with that. The silence felt nice and peaceful.

We arrived in front of a big house, and I'm assuming that it's Liam and Adriana's house. It's almost as big as ours with big brown doors, white walls, and tall glasses covering the windows. Its got a homey feeling in it.

Adriana opened her door of the car and got out. She unlocked the door of their house and was about to step inside but before she did, she turned around and made eye contact with me. She gave me a long look that was enough to make me uncomfortable before finally stepping inside of their house, and closing the door.

I shook off the feeling of dread that was building up inside me and told the guards to drive back to mine and Xander's house. The car ride was filled with uncomfortable silence. It was the kind of silence that was filled with so much tension that you could cut it with a knife. The kind of silence that you would want to break as soon as possible.

We arrived at our house after fifteen minutes of driving. I thanked the guards and got out of the car. I unlocked the door and stepped inside the house. I made my way to the kitchen and decided to make grilled chicken with vegetables for dinner.

After about an hour and a half, dinner was ready. I was setting up the table when I heard the front door open. I felt my wolf bark happily before warm arms wrapped around my waist from behind. I snuggled closer to my mate before I felt him leaning down and planting kisses on my neck. I giggled and turned around in his arms before giving him a hug in return.

"Dinner's ready," I told him.

He gave me a kiss in reply before looking at the food on the table.

"It looks delicious, love." He told me, looking at me with soft and loving eyes. I smiled at him and gave him a peck before finishing setting up for dinner.

"What happened to the rogues by the border?" I asked him, cutting up a piece of chicken.

He let out a sigh before looking away. I felt worried because of his expression.

"We weren't able to catch them. We caught one but he wouldn't say a single word, and it's annoying the hell out of me." He replied, his tone starting to turn menacing.

I grabbed his hand and started rubbing circles with my thumb. I don't want him to be stressed, I want him to relax after a stressful day.

"What about you? What did you do in the woods after Liam and I left? My guards told me that they spotted you and Adriana coming out of the woods. What were you guys doing in the woods?" Xander asked curiously. I have a feeling that he already knows the answer from the look that I'm seeing in his eyes.

I gulped and looked away. I didn't know how to respond to that. Should I tell him?

"Sam, tell me," Xander told me, his voice growing worried and harder with each passing second.

Just as I was about to tell him, the doorbell rang successfully interrupting me and cutting my train of thought. I sighed in I don't know if relief or annoyance. I guess we'll never know.

I got up from my chair with Xander following behind. Xander opened the door to reveal the grinning face of Cameron.

"Hey guys, mind if I join you for dinner?" He said, looking down at me with a smile.

____________________________________________________________________