1. Chapter 9

"Let us out! I swear, if you don't unlock this trunk right now, I will hit you so hard, that when you have kids, they will be born with a concussion!"

"(Name), perhaps threatening the only person who can let us out is a bad ide-"

"No, trust me! This'll work!" As those words left her lips, the hatch leading to the outside world popped open, revealing a familiar face. "See- what the hell, Tina?" Newt was the first to climb the ladder out of the case. (Name) pushed him up, as to ascend quicker, but he ended up tripping on the steps. Muttering and apology, (Name) got out of the case and went to chastise the woman, but quickly shut her mouth upon seeing that an audience of wizards stared down on the group, mumbling loudly.

"I hope you have a good reason for interrupting this meeting, Ms. Goldstein. We are currently conducting research on a case." (Name) looked up at the voice, realising it to be the president of MACUSA. She also noticed that their was a peculiar form floating above the confused group. Jacob gasped as a body levitated towards him.

"Madame Picquery, yesterday, a man and woman brought a briefcase filled with magical creatures into New York. They also failed to obliviate a no-maj, Mr. Kowalski, here. But as this man works with these beasts, he might know which of his animals caused this man's death," Tina said, after regaining her courage. (Name) looked at her in disbelief. The crowd gasped at the notification of a muggle being present in the room. Madame Picquery raised her eyebrow.

"Why haven't you come forth sooner, or perhaps explained yourself? And what about the woman who came with this man? Is she the one who stands before me?" Madame Picquery probed. Newt interrupted them, stuttering:

"N-none of my creatures did this... those marks... that's the work of an Obscurus..." (Name) widened her eyes in realisation. The crowd, once again, gasped at the mention of such a foul terror.

"What about his trunk? There is probably something hidden in there he isn't telling us," a man spoke. (Name) recognised the man as Mr. Graves, and she scowled at him. Madame Picquery looked towards the wizard guards behind the group of friends.

"I suppose, as none of you came forth, I will have to-"

"Seize them!" Mr. Graves shouted, interrupting the president. Guards pushed forwards and grasped the arms of each, and Mr. Graves grabbed Newt's briefcase.

"No! Please- don't hurt my creatures! They're not dangerous- please!" Newt struggled against the guard and continued repeating the words. (Name) tried to pull away from them, as well, but gave up in defeat after they turned the corner. Newt and Tina's wands were confiscated, and a guard patted down (Name), also in search of hers. Newt struggled more as the guard got considerably more handsy. (Name) pushed off the guard and was grabbed by a woman. Newt still struggled, whimpering against the wizards.

"Newt... please don't..." (Name) said, soothingly. Newt turned his head toward her, tears threatening. His eyes softened and he went limp in the wizard's arm.

"Take them to the interrogation room and the no-maj to the cage so he can be obliviated," Graves said, making (Name) jump in surprise. Jacob struggled, spitting profanities as he was dragged away from Newt, Tina, and (Name). The group was led down a cold hallway, and (Name) looked to Tina, her cold eyes glaring blankly at the floor in front of her. They were all pushed into a cell, and Newt slumped in the corner, his shoulders shivering from silent sobs. (Name) crouched next to him and slid her arms around his torso. He flinched at the contact, but soon turned into her body and buried his head in her shoulder.

"Um... I'm sorry... I should've known that..." (Name) looked at Tina, slight resentment in her eyes. (Name) understood her motive, but couldn't believe she actually got them taken away. Especially Newt's 'family.' Newt sniffed into (Name)'s shoulder and she put a hand in his hair, consoling him, gently.