Father and Daughter

First dance song^^^^^

*

Jonathan doesn't waste time to grab my waist and pull me to him. We take the kiss slow, and everything around me goes away. The sound of people clapping, the birds around us, the water lapping at the beach, silenced.

We let go a second later, staring at each other as I lean away. Sound rushes back as the crowd continues to clap. "I love you", I whisper.

"I love you Mrs. Toews", Jonathan whisper back. Butterflies form in my stomach when I know my last name is the same as his, and that I'm his wife.

Jonathan and I turn to the crowd and walk down the aisle, their cheers louder than before. As soon as we reach the inside of the building.

Next, is what I've decided to call a 'meet and greet'. Since there's a lot of my family here that I haven't seen in almost twenty years, they wanted some time, other than the reception. Jonathan and I both wait and greet each one of mine and his family members.

The first are my parents and sisters, then Kayla and Patrick, the rest of the team, and Jonathan's parents and brother.

"Bonjour", I hear the next voice. I turn to see my Aunt Rose. "Ma Chere niece. Comment ca va?"

My Aunt Rose, my grandmother's younger sister, has lived in Quebec all her life and refuses to let us kids speak anything but French when we're around her. I'm the only one of me and my sister's to have an actual conversation.

"Tres bien, Tante Rose. Grand vous voir. Comment allez-vous?"

"Oui, oui. Bon, bon".

"Jonathan", I turn to my.....husband. "voici ma tante, Rose. Tante Rose, voici mon mari, Jonathan. Il peut parler le francais aussi".

Aunt Rose turns to Jonathan in shock. "Parler francais?"

"Oui, Tante Rose. Enchante".

Rose is moved along with the help of my mother, and we greet more of both mine and Jonathan's family. I meet his aunts and uncles, grandparents, cousins, all of them. Jonathan meets all of my cousins, aunts, uncles, and my grandmother, who just turned 85.

After almost an hour, everyone moves into the back gardens for cocktail hour, then the reception. Jonathan and I take a break from everybody in a room upstairs, where we were supposed to change, if we felt like it, but I really love my dress, so I'm going to keep it on for the night. Jonathan takes off his tan overcoat and rolls up his white, long sleeved shirt. The baby pink vest that goes over the shirt looks perfect on him, and it matches the pink bowtie.

"Ladies and gentlemen", the DJ calls through the garden. We stand at the door and wait for him. "Mister and misses Toews".

We walk through the door to the garden. The rowdiest group to cheer is Jonathan's teammates. We greet everyone, making our way back to our table, where my bridesmaids and groomsmen sit. Jonathan pulls out my chair for me and I sit down, he sits down next to me, and he clasps our hands together on the table.

Dinner is passed to our guests. During dinner, I hear shuffling from the other side of Jonathan. A microphone is handed to Andrew by the DJ. He taps on the mic, making the speakers squeal. He stands up and the guests go quiet.

"Good evening ladies and gents. I, Andrew Shaw, am the bestest best man the groom could have had. So, it's my job to tell you embarrassing stories about Jonathan, and boy are there plenty. I met Jonathan I was drafted onto the Blackhawks six or seven years ago. Damn, did we hit it off. I thought we would have been together forever. But, unfortunately, we were separated, and now one of us is married, and the other of us is me", our guests continue to laugh through his speech. "The first time Tazer and I were on the ice, in our first game of the season together, I sent him flying into our own goal, in which he might have had the puck and it was a considered a goal for the other team, but that's beside the point".

Shaw keeps going on with ridiculous stories about Jonathan, only a few of which I've already heard from the team. "So, to conclude, CJ, you could have picked any of us, and yet you picked this guy. For all we know, you could have picked Breadman and learned Russian. I'm sorry CJ, you had the chance".

Andrew finishes with one last sarcastic remark, then sits down, passing the microphone to the DJ again. "Now, for the father daughter, mother son dance".

Jonathan takes my hand and pulls me along to the dance floor, where Dad and Mama Toews stand, waiting for us. My hand slips from Jonathan's and into Dad's. The start of the song starts to play as we situate ourselves. Dad's and my hand clasp together to the side of us, my arm wraps around his neck, his other arm around my waist.

The song, My Light by Sully Erna, was the decision between Jonathan and I for this dance. Dad and I sway along to the beat, Jonathan and his mother do the same.

"You always bring me life, and you help me find my way. A gentle kiss good night, is the innocence I crave".

Dad hums along to it in my ear, and I cherish this moment, never wanting to leave it. Being here, at my wedding, married to the best man I could have ever found, listening to my father hum to a song that's about a man and his little girl.

"And I hope you'll always be my best friend, I promise I will be there 'til the end".

The song ends, and I move away slightly to see that my father is crying. I put my hand on his cheek, wiping under his eye. He leans into my hand, closing his eyes. "Don't cry, Daddy. I still have to see you everyday at the stadium".

"You're my oldest, CJ. Soon enough, you'll be having kids, and both of your sisters are going to get married. I can't just let this moment go", he says quietly.

"And you'll be there for all of it. To hold your grandchild, to walk Mia and Jada down the aisle". I look him in the eye. "Let's be honest though, no body will ever marry Mia. She's too self absorbed".

Dad chuckles and steps a foot away from me. Jonathan and Mama Toews comes up to us. I give her a hug, and Dad and Jonathan give each other a hug.

"Now, CJ and Jonathan's first dance as husband and wife", the DJ says.

Jonathan grabs onto my hand. I look up at him, his eyes gleaming.

"Come on Mrs. Toews".