Chapter 3 | I Took Yours

3

─── • ─── 

ISABELLA

On Wednesday, Addy and I part for a class like usual. The week is flying by, which I'm thankful for because I haven't been in the mood to learn. Especially when Jake is the only thing on my mind. Of course, I'm disappointed he had to go, but school comes first. So, I swallow some of my advice and rid my mind of him so I can focus.

I take a seat in the empty lecture hall earlier than I need to be and pull out my notes to kill time. One by one, the empty seats fill, but nobody sits beside me since I hide in a corner seat.

As if the universe heard me talking about sitting alone, someone plops right next to me. I hastily look up from the pages of my notebook and almost laugh from the absurdity. Of course.

My eyes meet Miles', and a shit-eating grin forms on his face. I sigh, there are how many other seats open, and he had to choose the one next to me. I clench my pen, trying to keep myself from acting irrationally.

Cocking his head to the side, he asks, "Is this seat taken?" Even though he's already sitting in it.

"Looks like it now," I answer without looking at him, returning my attention to my book even though I want to say, Yeah, ass-wipe, you're sitting on my imaginary friend, now get the hell up. I try my best to read the words on the page, but I'm too distracted to focus, so I pretend.

He kicks his legs onto the seat in front of him and throws his hands behind his head. "Saw you with that blond guy on Saturday," he says. "New boy-toy?"

I stare at his stupid face. I didn't realize he saw me with Jake. His eyes burn holes in the side of my head, waiting for a reply, but I never give him one. Thankfully, the professor walks in, sets his bag down, and begins talking, saving me from this awful encounter.

Note to self, never come to class early ever again.

My fingers move over my computer keys swiftly as I take notes. Not once do I avert my attention elsewhere, but I notice someone else does. Every once in a while, Miles will look over at me, then stare at my computer screen, then back to the professor. I'm incredibly tempted to tell him to piss off, but I don't until he does it for the sixth time.

"Do you mind?" I whisper agitatedly, not wanting to draw attention to myself.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, do you mind? Do I need to spell it out for you?"

He blinks twice as if he's trying to process what I'm saying. His arms fold over his chest. "You're kind of rude, did you know that?"

I let out a short, incredulous laugh. He has the audacity to say I'm rude after all the things he's done. I pick up my things and walk across the row to an empty seat far away from him. Some people look to see what the ruckus is, but I couldn't care less.

When I'm situated, I release a quiet breath and resume taking notes in peace.

Class is finally dismissed what feels like an eternity later, and I storm over to Addy who is waiting at our designated bench. She notices me plowing towards her, and her eyes widen.

"What's up with you, grumpy?" she jests, but I don't laugh or crack a smile. I sit up straight and point to Miles, who is wooing a different girl across the courtyard.

Her face scrunches up when she sees him. "What did he do now?"

"He just likes to piss me off."

I watch him grab some brunette's hand and place a kiss on it. "I don't know if he forgot what happened between us, but I didn't."