~19~

Wanda

I felt like my eyes were deceiving me when Taraji came into view. She looks so grown up: so sophisticated, so beautiful. It's been years since the incident occurred. She moved away from home a week afterwards. I didn't know where she went and neither did anyone else in our old neighborhood. Where did I go wrong was the only question I ask when that happened. Eventually I started blame her for her 'emotions'.

Truth be told, I was the cause of our problems. My youngest sister tried to convince me that it wasn't me to blame for my husband's death. Of course I didn't believe her.

But now that my baby girl's back, I'm going to make sure that I earn her trust before my last days on earth are up.

She didn't look that excited to see me though. "Mom?"

I smiled. "Yes it's me baby girl."

Tyson's son invited us inside their beautiful home. The marble floors were freshly waxed. The lights glistened on the long glass staircase that lead up to the second level. They walked us into the dining room where a marvelous dinner awaited (in the mm).

We all sat down at the marble table. Me and Tyson on one side while Taraji and her boyfriend on the other. Tyson broke the awkward silence that fell over us. "Terrence, son, this all looks great! I always knew you were magic in the kitchen."

Terrence rubbed the back of his neck. "Well actually Taraji cooked most of this. I only did the rolls, greens, macaroni, mashed potatoes, and pies."

I could tell that Taraji was extremely uncomfortable. Especially with Tyson glaring at her. I'll have to talk to him about that.

"So let's eat shall we," I jumped in. "Raji honey can you say grace?"

"S-Sure."

Bless, O Lord, this food to our use and us to thy service,
And keep us ever mindful of the needs of others.
For this and all we are about to receive,
Make us truly grateful, Lord.
In Jesus' Name, Amen.

~ ~ ~ ~
Taraji

While I was eating, I glanced from the corner of my eye to see Tyson still staring me down. It's like he didn't approve of me or something. Trust me when I say it doesn't feel good. This night was suppose to be like a usual family dinner: eating, talking to catch up. But no...we just sat in silence except for the occasional small talk about work or where we've been over the years. I didn't say anything though.

Terrence sensed my discomfort so he pulled me away from the dining room while his father and my mother ate. We ended up at the far end of the hallway.

"Baby are you okay," he asked.

"I don't even know! Terrence it's very obvious that your father doesn't like me."

"He's just not used to me being with someone like you."

I folded my arms across my chest and raised an eyebrow. "Please explain what you mean by that."

"He likes me with more...you know...classy women," he said hesitantly.

"Oh, so I'm not classy," I asked.

"I'm not saying you aren't. What I mean is he likes women who have been spoiled and pampered all their lives. Women who think they deserve everything good. Basically a woman who sits on her ass and let's other people do her bidding."

I nodded, looking down. His fingers lifted my head back up. "Don't let him bring you down. I don't care what he thinks about you because at the end of the day, you're mine. I love you."

"I love you, too."

Our faces grew closer together until my phone vibrated inside my pocket. He groaned. I softly pecked his lips then pulled it out and answered:

~~~~Phone Conversation~~~~

Taraji: hello

James: I did it T, I landed the deal

Taraji: oh my god you're joking right

James: nope. Jackson called just this morning saying that Metropolitan modeling wanted a 'fresh American face' as he would call it

Taraji: you make it sound like he's foreign

James: that's actually the catch see...you'd have to move to Paris for a month or two

Taraji: WHAT! James I don't think I can be that far away from Terrence and for that long

James: this is your career. It's sink or swim

Taraji: (sighs) I know...when am I supposed to leaving

James: on Wednesday (Novemeber 30, 2016) I already scheduled your flight for 8:00 am

Taraji: okay

James: I'm really so--

~~~~End of Conversation~~~~

I hung up before he could finish. Him apologizing wasn't going to keep me in New York. It's like this day couldn't get any worse. My potential father in law didn't even like me, my mother appeared from thin air after all almost thirty four years, and now I have to fly over three thousand miles away from my baby.

"Please don't tell me what I thought he just said. You're leaving?"

"Metropolitan wants me in Paris on Wednesday. I'll probably be there for a month or two."

Just as he prepared a response, my mother and Tyson rounded the corner. She walked up to me. "I need to talk to you for a second."

This was all too much. I can't do this right now. "I would love to, but I have to start packing."

Without another word, I left the three of them downstairs staring after me.