Chapter 7 - Part 2

Lacey

For the next two weeks, I saw little of Adonis. I don't know if it was because I was keeping myself busy with work and going out, or if it was because he was avoiding me. But having Adonis out of sight did not deter me from thinking about him.

"So are you and Max still hot and heavy?" I wiggled my eyebrows at Reece.

"Something like that," she said.

You would think that because I hung out with Aiden so much that I'd see her and Max more often, but that wasn't the case. When Aiden and I went out, we did it on our own.

"How are things with you and Aiden?" Reece asked. I finished painting the toenail I was busy with before I looked at her.

"There's nothing going on between us." I shrugged, staring at my painted toenail and admiring the color.

Aiden and I were just friends who liked to spend time together. Nowadays we were inseparable. We went out to movies and we went out to eat. He even took me paint balling one weekend, and I'd returned home with minor bruises all over. It had been fun, but painful.

Even my migraines had eased off. The last one I had suffered from had been the night of the party when Adonis had kissed me and left. It was a relief, I wouldn't have to go back to the doctor for further tests.

Reece gave me a disbelieving look.

"What?" I asked, not sure what she was trying to get at.

"You guys spend so much time together you can't be naïve enough to think that it's just friendship," she said.

"It's not possible for guys to just be friends with girls, they're just not built that way."

I frowned. We'd agreed upfront that we were just going to be friends, and that was our agreement. I wasn't ready to date someone when I still had a thing for Adonis, despite all my attempts to change that. He was so intertwined with my life and no matter how hard I tried, there was no way of separating him out of it.

I bit my lip, still holding the nail polish bottle in my one hand as I contemplated what she was saying. There was no way she was right. Aiden understood how I still felt about Adonis and he knew that for anything to work between us, I would have to be over Adonis with no residual feelings.

"Aiden knows that I'm not ready for anything at the moment," I said to her.

"His mind might know that agreement, but that doesn't mean his heart doesn't have a mind of its own. I'm sure he wants more," she told me.

I shrugged.

"I see the way he looks at you, it's the same way Adonis looks at you."

"Well, that can't be good." I was a little sarcastic. Look at what Adonis had done to me.

"I'm serious, I really think he has a thing for you," she said.

"I enjoy Aiden's company and," I stated with a shrug. It was that simple, I couldn't risk it for something that would not work out.

"Have you seen Gray?"

I shook my head as I surveyed my newly painted toenails. "I've been out a lot and I haven't really been at home to bump into him."

"Did he stop trying to call and message you?"

I hadn't seen or heard from him since I'd told him I wasn't one of his groupies.

"Yes," I said.

"I'm surprised he gave up that easily." She selected a nail polish and opened it. We were both sitting on her bed painting our nails. It was Saturday, and we were having a lazy day of doing girly things.