Chapter 8 - Part 1

Lacey

During the night, I vaguely remember Adonis checking on me twice. The medication eased my migraine and by morning I was feeling fine again.

My mom fussed over me when I walked into the kitchen first thing in the morning.

"How are you feeling?" she asked with concern as she turned her attention to me.

"I'm fine, mom," I said, but I could see the words didn't ease her worry.

I sat down by the kitchen counter as my mom came to stand beside me.

"Alex said you fainted," she told me.

"Yes, I fainted," I said, not wanting to make a big deal out of it.

"I made a doctor's appointment this week," my mom said.

I knew she would blow the whole thing out of proportion.

"Mom, people faint all the time." I tried to reason with her. "I don't need to go see the doctor."

My mom pressed her lips together as she gave me a contemplating look.

"My migraines have been getting better and besides, there is no reason to think that the fainting had anything to do with the migraines," I said.

"But you've never fainted before." She gave me that serious mom look and put one hand on her hip.

She was right, but there was a first time for everything. I put my hand over her hand that was gripping the kitchen counter and gave it a squeeze.

"I'm fine, mom."

She studied me for a few moments. "Okay. I'll cancel the appointment, but if it happens again, we are going to the doctor. No arguments."

I nodded in agreement, and she hugged me. Even with my reassurance to my mom, I couldn't ignore the whisper of doubt inside my mind. The whole fainting thing had scared me. What I had told no one was I'd experienced a sharp pain before I'd fainted, and I was pretty sure that wasn't normal for your typical fainting spell.

I bit my lip while I watched my mom make me breakfast. I couldn't explain why I didn't want to go to the doctor, even though I knew it was the right thing to do. The thought of them finding something wrong with me terrified me. I couldn't ignore the pain in my head before I'd blacked out. I knew I needed to go to the doctor, but for some unknown reason I didn't voice my concern. Instead, I kept quiet and told myself that I would handle it.

Later, when I was in my room getting changed, I was still thinking about it and what I was going to do when I heard a soft knock at my door pulled me out of my somber thoughts.

The sight of Adonis standing outside my door was a surprise, and I couldn't stop my stomach flutter as my eyes met his. I wondered if there would ever be a time that I wouldn't feel the way I did about him.

"Hi," I greeted him.

"Could I speak to you for a moment?" he asked. I stepped aside, and he entered my room.

Although he practically lived at my house, it was still weird facing him alone in my bedroom. He shoved his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

"How are you feeling?" His tone light and friendly.

"I'm fine. The medication helps." Unable to hold his gaze, I dropped my eyes to the floor.

His concern explained why he was here. It meant he wasn't here to talk about our kiss.

He stepped closer, and I looked up to him.

"You scared me," he whispered, and I got a glimpse of the fear in his eyes. It took me a little by surprise.