33| Red Velvet Cake

Please listen to song above.

I shouldn't be surprised that Sparrow was here

I shouldn't be surprised that Sparrow was here. If his father was always with my own, then of course he would be here. Not to mention he was technically Papa's employee, and father always invited his workers to the Christmas parties in a chauvinistic act. Still, somehow I was amazed that he was standing in front of me with his hand held out towards mine trying to put on his best gentlemanly facade when we both knew that wasn't the case. This was the man who destroyed my bakery while wearing a smile. The man who destroyed Gage and his family. The man who would kill him without a care in the world.

And now he wants a dance.

After taking a small sip of my drink I sat it to the side before I could fling it in his face like I desired. I, too, had a role to upkeep.

"Good evening to you as well," I flashed an overly kind smile. "I would love to dance, but I am not sure that would be appropriate given the fact that you already have a suitable partner," I nodded to the redhead next to him who appeared visibly upset by the fact that Sparrow was addressing me and not her. "I think you would enjoy her company a lot more than my own."

Regardless of my crafted excuse that I was sure he couldn't deny, his dark eyes never wavered from mine, much to my dismay.

"Is that so? Well, then I'll have you know that although your concern is charming, you have nothing to fear. She understands her place," he turned his head slightly towards the woman behind him. "Don't you, Amber, darling?"

Amber, I discovered, for a brief moment looked hurt by his words but quickly covered it up with a half-hearted smile that didn't match her eyes. "Of course, sir. I come and go as you please."

"Then go," he spat. "You are making others uncomfortable."

"Yes, sir," she nodded before shuffling off quietly.

It physically pained me as I watched the woman dismiss herself without any sort of fight. She didn't deserve such mistreatment and yet she took it without strife. Her submission left me feeling ill, but before I could muddle over it further, Sparrow came back into my view.