Chapter 6: On Trial

Instead of replying to me, Newt climbs out of the case. I look over at Jacob and he gives me a confused look in response. I get up on my feet and climb out of the steps.

As I reach the top, the first person I see besides Newt is Tina, I look at her confused then I look at the room around me and see that it is full of wizards and witches with Madam Picquery standing by a chair, with Graves sitting next to her. After I climb out of the case, Jacob comes up after me and he looks nervous and scared.

"Scamander? (L/N)?" I hear a voice call.

"Oh--Er--hello, Minister." Newt said as he closes the case when Jacob climbs out.

"Theseus Scamander? The war hero?" Another voice asked.

"No, this is his little brother." The Minister said.

"And (L/N)? Like (Mother's name) (L/N)? The Auror?" The voice asked and I wince at this, hearing my mother's name.

A few weeks ago, I got a letter from my father saying that my mother was part of the group of Aurors who was killed by Grindelwald.

"This is her daughter. And what in the name of Merlin are you two doing in New York?" The Minister asked as I choke back a sob, keeping my composure up.

"We came to buy an Appaloosa Puffskein, sir." Newt replied as he places a hand on my shoulder, as a way to comfort me since he knows about my mother's fate.

"Right. What are you two really doing here?" The minister asked us, suspiciously.

"Goldstein--and who is this?" Madam Picquery asked Tina, pointing at Jacob.

"This is Jacob Kowalski, Madam President, he's a No-Maj who got bitten by one of Mr Scamander and Miss (L/N)'s creatures." Tina said and, automatically, there was furious reaction to what she said.

"No-Maj? Obliviated?" One of the people whispered.

"Merlin's beard." Newt said as he looks up.
"What is it?" I asked him and I follow his gaze.

I gasp as I see an image of a man, dead, with his face brutally scarred. I place my hands over my mouth when someon asked. "You know which of your creatures was responsible, Mr Scamander and Miss (L/N)?"

 "No creature did this..." I said as I removed my hands away from my mouth, looking at the man's body in horror.

"Don't pretend! You must know what that was; look at the marks..." Newt said as he stares at the body in shock. "That was an Obscurus." Newt and I said, in unison, and there was a mass consternation, muttering and exclamations.

"You go too far, Mr Scamander and Miss (L/N). There is no Obscurial in America." Madam Picquery said. She turns her head to Graves and said.

"Impound that case, Graves!" And the case flies towards Graves.

Newt and I whip out our wands as Newt said. "No...Give that b--"  

"Arrest them!" Picquery shouted and a dazzle of spells hit Newt, Tina, Jacob and I and we slam to our knees while mine and Newt's wand flies out of our hands and caught by Graves, who stands up and picks up the case.

"No--no--don't hurt those creatures, please!" Newt begged.

"You don't understand! Nothing in there is dangerous, nothing!" I shouted, desperately to Picquery.

"We'll be the judges of that!" She said then looks behind us and I glance over my shoulder and see a group of Aurors behind us. "Take them to the cells!" Picquery ordered and the four of us are dragged away from the room.