XLV. A Possible Impossibility

Jemma stared down at the two blood samples on the table in front of her, shock written all over her face. She had gone over them thirteen times just to be sure she was seeing what she was seeing. She was unsure if what she was seeing could possibly be true, but as usual, the science behind it all was what proved it to be true.

"This can't be right," Jemma muttered to herself as she tried to work out the math in her head.

"What can't be right?" Fitz's voice sounded.

Jemma let out a sigh and turned to look at him. "I was running tests on Skye's blood and Connie's blood, and the information is right, but it can't be possible."

Fitz's brows fell in confusion and he moved towards the microscope. He looked down at the two samples, studying both of them rather intently as if to find an answer to whatever it was Jemma was babbling about. His eyes widened slightly as he began to put two and two together, and he looked back up at Jemma.

"How is this possible? Connie was born in 1920 and Skye. . .well, she wasn't," Fitz remarked in disbelief.

Jemma only shrugged and crossed her arms over her chest. "That's what I'm wondering as well."

"Is this what you've been working on for the last few months that you haven't bothered to tell anybody about? Even me?"

Jemma nodded.

"Then why tell me now?" Fitz inquired.

"Because for the past few months I wasn't sure if my work was right, but now I've never been more sure about anything." Jemma sighed and glanced back down at the blood samples on the table, "Connie and Skye are sisters. . ."