Gideon Prewett's Peacock

"Alright Snivellus?" James called as the Marauders passed by a cluster of the Slytherins in the halls on their way to Defense Against the Dark Arts. He'd spotted Severus Snape from down the hall and nudged Sirius to attract his attention, grinning and winking as he'd drawn his wand from his robe pocket and causing a loud pop to go off directly behind Snape, making him jump in surprise. Sirius snickered at the expression of shock on Severus's face.

Realizing what happened, Severus glared at James as he laughed, but, spotting Lily Evans out of the corner of his eyes, he stopped himself from drawing his wand in retaliation.

James grinned. "Small noises make you twitchy, Snivellus? Maybe scared the dementors are coming." He pulled his hood up onto his head and snickered as he waved his fingers at Severus tauntingly as he passed.

Sirius followed suit, laughing as he did. "Watch out for the bogey man."

Lily glowered, "You lot are absolutely ridiculous. Five points from each of you."

Severus looked pleased.

"Ten points from your own house? Are you mad?" James whirled on her. "We're already behind with the house cup."

"That's what you get for being a bully," Lily retorted smartly. "Should've thought of that before you went and acted like a git." She glared at Remus, "Shame on you for not stepping in already!"

Remus turned red, "I --"

"Don't worry about it, Rey. I'll keep them in line my bleeding self. And Sirius, you best put that tie 'round your damn neck where it belongs or I'll give you another five points," she added, turning on him and pointing to the Gryffindor tie he had tied about his skull.

Sirius tugged the tie over his nose as Lily glowered at them, watching them walk away in a cluster. "Honestly! Like my tie on my head is really affecting anyone besides myself! What is it with McGonagall and Evans and my tie being about my neck?"

James was stewing about the ten points off the Gryffindor hourglass down below in the entrance hall.

Remus brought the Grade 7 Defense Against the Dark Arts textbook along to the first DADA class after returning from the holiday break, determined to learn about the Patronus Charm as quickly as possible.

It had been quite a terrible few days at Hogwarts - even aside from the ten points Evans had taken from Gryffindor. Everyone in the school was on edge on account of the report of the dementors. Stories went up among the students in the Great Hall, tall tales spread about by attention seekers, claiming they'd seen the dementors floating about on the edge of the grounds. Every time that the conversation had come up 'round the Gryffindor tables, Sirius had boasted loudly that the dementors didn't bother him in the least and that if he was to be faced with one he'd simply tell it to sod off. "Wouldn't bother me a mite!" he shouted loudly. Of course, Remus knew better; even as Sirius was boasting about how bloody not afraid of the Dementors he was - and teasing Severus Snape with the threat of them along side James - he had actually been having nightmares every night.

Gideon Prewett looked exhausted as he entered the classroom, carrying a briefcase and limping slightly. The demeanor that filled him was far removed from the happy-go-lucky excitement that usually radiated from either of the Prewett brothers. He slouched to the front of the room, tossed the briefcase onto the desk, and sank into the chair behind it.

All five of the Gryffindors were caught off guard by this demeanor and they exchanged glances. Lily looked forward at Gideon, "Mr. Prewett, sir," she asked, "Is everything alright?"