Chapter 30

Hey guys, here's a long chapter in return for my short absence. I'm officially on break, so hopefully you'll be seeing more from me. Thanks for reading, please enjoy.

***

Jennifer's POV -

The following morning, I make sure to gather the potion sample and essay for my presentation with Draco. Although the project called for him to help me, I had ended up completing it by my lonesome, which I'm a little bit pissed about.

Even though he hadn't lifted a finger to aid me with this thing, I know he'll find away to accuse me of messing something up, or doing something wrong, or anything of the sort. That's just how he is.

I am extremely nervous to see him. For the past few days, all he has been to me is rude and distant, sort of like my first few weeks at Hogwarts. And when he isn't doing that, he's ignoring me. When we're surrounded by other people, the nervous feeling that his presence strikes up in my chest seems to fade, but when the both of us are alone together, it'll be a very different story.

I walk down to the great hall rather early in the morning, where Draco and I have agreed to meet to review what we'd present.

I peer around nervously upon entering the expansive room, realizing that the only other people inside besides Draco and I are a few students at the Ravenclaw table and a lone professor seated at the head of the room.

I take a deep, shaky breath, trying to convince myself that I'm capable of being alone with him again, and approach the table. I trip over my own feet a few times before I make it to the seat beside him, and slide in silently.

He appears to be awfully tired, a look I've gotten used to seeing on him. Not that I look any better.

"So-um-" I start, my voice quivering a little bit. "-what do you want to-uh-say?"

A heavy sigh blows past his lips. "Don't give a damn."

Great, we're back to stage one, which is him being an asshole, and us arguing every time we speak.

I respond to his annoying behavior with a sigh of my own. "Whatever. I'll just do it by myself."

He shoots me an angry look, although I note he refuses to meet my eyes.

I stand up swiftly, not wanting to deal with him any more than I already have to, and stride away towards the entrance of the great hall.

I'm not exactly sure how this will work out, considering the fact that I absolutely hate speaking in front of the class, but it will surely be much easier without him screwing things up.

***

"Shit, I don't even have my potion done." Josefina stresses, her head falling in her hands.

My laugh rings out over the low chatter in the room. "Neither do I. Mine takes months to brew."

"Yeah, but mine takes a week. Slughorn's gonna kill me." She moans, her face now concealed in between her folded arms. Another laugh escapes my mouth as Slughorn enters the room.

"Alright, alright." He exclaims, urging us all to stop talking. When the room finally silences, he continues on. "As you know, your group presentations will be today. You've had plenty of time to complete them, so I expect your potions and your essays to be completely finished when you present them today." Slughorn says wearily, and I throw Josefina a suggestive glance, which earns me a middle finger under the table.