Chapter 17 - Brendan

I open what must be the tenth bag of spiderwebs. Lisa should have gone to the barn when I inherited it instead of the party shop. It was full of the real thing. My family has gone overboard with the Halloween decorations and all I wonder is who is going to clean it afterwards.

"Isn't this pretty?" my sister gazes at the living room.

"I wouldn't call it pretty. Pretty is flowers and hearts. We have a zombie head on a tray with crackers," I say.

"Not any head. A dipping head! People will be able to eat brains!" she rejoices.

My stomach churns at the idea. It also sounds weird, but I continue my spider web task.

"When is Taylor coming?" Lisa asks.

"I don't know," I shrug. "Why?"

"I was hoping that he could help me in the kitchen,"

"You better give him a call then. Maybe he has other plans,"

"Other plans? Didn't the two of you work on matching costumes?" she looks at me confused.

"Sort of. He is now dating a girl. I don't know if he is still coming to the party,"

"But you talk daily,"

"Not in the past weeks. I've only seen him once when I went to pick my Princess Leia beanie,"

"And you are okay with that?"

I'm not enjoying the interrogation. Taylor has the right to enjoy his life. I knew this best friend thing wasn't going to last forever. I'm jealous of the time he is spending with her but that's it.

"Why shouldn't I? He is entitled to a love life. I also have a date for tonight. Lucky number seven,"

"Do I know him?"

"No, you don't. He is one of my toy suppliers,"

"But Taylor does then,"

"What does Taylor have to do with my date?" I ask irritated.

"Nothing. Just making conversation. He helps you at the store so maybe he also knew him. Jeez! You are easy to wind up today. Tell me about this guy. What's his name?"

"Brendan. He is nice,"

"Good looking?"

"He is alright. Blond hair and blue eyes, taller than me. He has a killer collection of Japanese toys. Hooked me up with some Gatchaman action figures,"

"Do you know anything else about him besides his toys?"

"Yeah- he is- nice?" I try to save my lack of knowledge on the guy.

Lisa shakes her head and walks outside. Okay, I don't know a thing about Brendan besides that he is a collector. But isn't that why dating exists? To learn about each other?