Chapter Thirty

Effie smiled proudly at herself. She never had this much courage when she was alive. She would never have been able to kill the people she killed. Her conscience wouldn't allow her too, but she didn't have one anymore. She didn't care what anyone thought about her or what she did. As long as she got her revenge, she was happy. That's all she wanted and she got it.

Walking through the door and into the dark hallway, she saw Patricia standing little ways away. She smiled at her as she got nearer.

"Well done," Patricia congratulated her. "Now, you can leave this place with me." She motioned for Effie to follow her.

Effie followed close to Patricia's heels. She was ready to leave this place. She wanted to go home. She wanted to see her parents again. She couldn't wait to see them.

A thought occurred to her that brought the smile off her face. She would be able to see her parents, but they wouldn't be able to see her. Did she want to go home when the heartache would just start all over again? Did she want to go through that?

She ran her hands through her hair and sighed. Patricia stopped in front of her and turned around. "What's wrong?"

Effie shrugged her shoulders. "I want to go home."

"Then go!" Patricia smiled. "You can go home now!"

Effie shook her head. "My parents won't be able to see me, won't they?"

Patricia's smile slowly fell from her face. She looked down at the ground and sighed. "No, they won't. I'm sorry, Effie."

"What's the point of going home?" Effie asked her. "What's the point if my parents can't see me or even know that I'm there?"

Patricia shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know, Effie. You can travel. You don't have to go home. You can go anywhere you want to go! Haven't you always wanted to go somewhere that you couldn't go before?"

Effie nodded.

"Then travel!"

Effie thought about it for a moment. "Alright. That's what I'll do."

Patricia smiled as she turned around and headed down the stairs. Effie followed her down the stairs and towards the large doors. She watched Patricia go through, but when she tried to go through the door, she was stopped.

"That's weird," she mumbled to herself. She brought up her hands and pushed against the door. A blue-silver color moved against her hands and prevented her from moving through the door. She pushed against it and still wasn't able to go through. "Patricia!"

There was no answer.

"I'm stuck here!" Effie slammed her fists against the door and screamed. Why would this happen to her? Why would she get stuck and Patricia not? She ran to one of the windows and tried to pry it open, but it wouldn't budge. She looked through it and saw Patricia standing a couple of feet away from the window. She banged against the window and screamed for Patricia.

Patricia turned her head and looked at Effie. A wicked smile grew on her face. She walked closer to the window and the smile grew even larger.

"Patricia?" Effie called to her confused. "Aren't you going to help me out of here?"

Patricia slowly shook her head.

"What?"

"I told you that you would feel my pain," her voice mumbled through the glass.

"I did feel your pain!" Effie argued. "I died because of your revenge!"

Patricia shrugged. "That wasn't enough for me. Now, I want you to stay here for eternity." She started to back up and disappear.

Effie banged her fists against the window and screamed at Patricia. How could she do this to her? Effie thought that her dying was enough for Patricia, but apparently not. Tears formed at the corners of her eyes as she backed away from the window. She ran to every window and door in the building that led her to the outside and found the same result for each of them.

She was locked here.

She backed up against a wall and closed her eyes. She was stuck here forever.

-

Eighty years later, Effie still walked around the now closed asylum alone. She found out that ghost doesn't age. They stay the same age throughout the years. No one ever came to the asylum. Not even the people that closed it down came to the building. Effie was utterly alone.

Effie was standing in one of the rooms upstairs looking out of a window when she heard a car engine in the background. She looked outside clearly and saw a car coming up the driveway. She smiled as she watched a young lady get out of the car and take pictures of the building.

Time to make someone pay.

Hi everyone! I hope you all enjoyed this book! I can't believe that it's the last chapter, but it is! Let me know what you thought about it in the comments below! :D