Chapter 20: Death For Dessert

Harrison looks to Abby as he walks toward the door, "Are you ready?"

Abby's glare is fixated on the door. It's like she can't look away. She has an undying desire to see the police woman enter her domain for the first time...for the last time. She answers him with anticipation in her voice, "Yes."

Harrison pulls the front door open and smiles at his guest. "Detective, don't you look lovely."

Brandy is wearing a nice pair of tan slacks and a white button down shirt. In her left hand, she holds a bottle of wine. "Harrison please, I'm off duty, call me Brandy." She smiles.

He chuckles, "Sorry, Brandy, won't you come in?"

She steps into the house and Harrison takes her jacket as a gentleman would. Charlie rushes to her, his tail wagging like mad. How he has missed her. She rubs his head and back, she has missed him too.

Abby's eyes are locked onto Brandy. If looks could kill, Harrison would have another dead body to dispose of right now. Abby's want for the detective has grown into an obsession. Brandy Page has visited them once before and she managed to escape with her life. Abby can't allow that to happen a second time.

Harrison begins to walk toward the kitchen, "Dinner is just about ready."

Brandy notices, "It smells good."

"Thanks, just a little something I threw together." He calls from the kitchen.

Brandy approaches the table where Abby sits staring. "Hi, Abby. Remember me?"

Abby doesn't answer her. Harrison notices and comes from the kitchen, "Abby? When someone speaks to you, you should answer them."

Abby looks to Harrison then back to Brandy, "Yes, I remember."

Brandy smiles, not sure what to think of Abby and her odd behavior, "So, I hear you and Charlie have become good friends."

Abby is silent and doesn't answer Brandy. Harrison must once again intervene. He had a feeling this might become a problem. Abby's social skills are lacking and if he doesn't do something quickly, Brandy might begin to question her strange mannerisms. He thinks, 'We only have to worry about her until the end of dinner.'

"I apologize for Abby's behavior. She's not the most talkative person. It isn't very often we have visitors."

Brandy takes that as the truth and doesn't press the issue, "Well that's okay. She can talk to me whenever she's ready." Brandy smiles at her but doesn't get one in return.

Throughout the course of the meal, Abby doesn't pay much attention to the food on her plate. She is more interested in Brandy, watching her every move. Harrison reminds Abby to eat but she doesn't acknowledge him. The only voice she hears is telling her to stab the police woman with her fork. Abby resists her impulses and obeys her father's request to wait until after dinner.

Brandy tries to make small talk with Abby but the five year old has no desire to talk, especially to her.

"So, Abby. Are you in school yet?"

Abby remains quiet, so Harrison answers for her, "Not yet, but I've been working with her. I have taught her everything she knows."

"Oh, how nice. What about her mother? Is she around?"

Abby looks to Harrison awaiting an answer. Harrison looks down, his face morphs into sadness. "She...Rebecca died, five years ago, right after Abby was born."