Chapter 14

It was getting difficult for Alex to concentrate on work.

The sight of pain and raw hatred he had witnessed in Kate's eyes refused to leave his mind.

It had been the truth, she said, and he hated to admit it even to himself that he had, indeed, cheated on her as well. It had been a drunk mistake, but it was what it was.

He was still married to Kate, damn it!

He broke the pen between his fingers in two pieces as his blood boiled in anger, directed to fucking everyone in his life—even to himself.

But then, suddenly, a different kind of feeling began brewing inside him. No, it was not hatred towards Kate or irritation towards himself and his current situation. It was far more severe than that or anything he had ever experienced. It strangely felt like somewhere, something very wrong was happening, something utterly terrible. As though a vivacious storm was approaching and fast, its destruction far more massive than when Kate had broken his heart. His heart tugged brutally, and he felt this intense panic gripping at his entire being out of nowhere, as though he was losing his very breath - he was just unaware how.

It was an instinct of upcoming doom that he could not precisely specify.

His secretary, Tina's head slipped in through the slightly ajar door of his office. She called him thrice but drowned in his disturbing thoughts, Alex failed to notice.

"Mr. Leon! Sir."

It was only when his name was almost screamed that he looked up, his fingers bleeding from the sharp edges of the broken pieces of the pen. He could feel the blood trickling down but yet had to take a look at it.

"I told you not to disturb me for the next hour," he commented gravely from behind the desk.

Tina flinched from the door. "It's just to let you know that two of our clients have canceled their appointments today. Oh, your hand's bleeding. Should I bring first aid?"

"No need for it," Alex huffed.

"Who're they?" he asked for the clients' names, feeling annoyed. The company was already speeding towards bankruptcy. In this situation, people not taking work seriously was unacceptable. "Don't they know it's the weekend tomorrow, and they'll have to wait for a whole day to get an appointment again? I thought you said all the meetings today are crucial, are they not?"

"Sir, Mr. Hojo has just gotten into a car crash, and Mr. Victor is in the hospital with his business partner."

No sooner had she finished the sentence than Alex felt his body stiffen in attention.

Victor's business partner. 

That meant Kate?

His head snapped up, and before he knew it, he had already roared out, "What happened to Kate?"

He sprang up to his feet while Tina gave him a curious look.

"I don't know. Should I contact Mr. Victor and inquire?" she asked.

"No," Alex barked. He had begun pacing back and forth in front of the floor-to-ceiling tinted window of his office. "Just know the name of the hospital they're in and tell me at once."

If possible, Tina's brows raised higher in curiosity at her boss's weird reaction to Victor's business partner's hospitalization news. She nodded nevertheless and left to complete the task she was given.

Alex, on the other hand, dug holes in the floor of his office with his continuous pacing, a deep frown of worry and fear marring his face.

Just one thought, a primal requisite, possessed him. He needed to see her.