F o u r t y S i x

F  O  R  T  Y S I X

「   F  O  R  T  Y  S  I  X  」

:

The ear piercing screech of Arkham Asylum security alarm erupted around the compound. The once lifeless alarms bursting into life leaving behind their shrilling cries and flashing light. Gunfire rained down the heavily guarded walls, the cries of men accompanied by thunderous footsteps awakening Scarlett from her sleep. Her body slouched into the back wall of her cell. Her body shuddering tirelessly as she attempted to sit up right. Her bruised ribs making themselves known from her latest run in with her guard Kelvin over her punishment for her outbreak with a few inmates earlier in the week. Scarlett little scuffle didn't go unnoticed by officer Kelvin. That man was bitter. The commotion outside her cell only raised Scarlett into a sense of alarm. Her cell door rattling as thunderous heavy footsteps stopped outside her door, the jangling of keys before the door was yanked open. " retrieve the asset." Barked Griggs as two guards stormed her personal space yanking her to her feet. Her limp body being dragged forwards into the blinding light of the hallway. " Get the asset into another containment. She must not be found do I make myself clear." He shouted to his men as others began to pull storm past them heavily armed. "What's going on." Scarlett drawled her vision blurring slightly as she struggled to stand properly. " Where are you taking me." Her words going unacknowledged as they yanked her forward carelessly down the rest of the hall. The faint sound of gunshots in the distance causing Scarlett head to lurch back as she tried to catch a glimpse of the commotion. The two guards pulling her throw a set of doors down another hallway. "What's happening" Scarlett slurred as she struggled in their grasp, her feet tripping over one another. The trio passing countless heavily guarded men rushing to the sound of the commotion. "Sir we've got the asset, where is your location over." The static of the radio barely audible as a load explosion ruptured the doors down the end of the hallway. "Answer me." She demanded as she tore her eyes from the sound of heavy gunfire getting loader as men attempted to barricade the door. Officer Griggs storming the area accompanied by more men. " Arkham we have the asset do you copy." Her captor shouted. " Arkham's in position, the original plan has been compromised ." Griggs shouted his eyes falling into Scarletts burning holes into the side of his skull. Their rough gloved hands forcing her forward as the door behind them burst off its hinges, an array of heavily armed men in carnival like clown masks.

Everything had swirled into a chaotic storm. Scarlett vision blurring as she ducked out of the sinister downfall of bullets filling the air she breathed. The smell of gunpowder lingering in the air. A guard hovering over her small frame as he pushed her between a small gap in the wall, his body shielding her from being injured. Disorientation taking over as there was no room to think. Her shallow breathing ringing in her ear. Unable to react as the guard hovering over her grew limp as blood splatter sprayed across her face. A small shriek leaving her lips as she trembled beneath him. Her heart pounding in her chest as she shoved him off of her. Her blood tipped fingers fumbling for anything to defend herself with. Her fingers inches from reaching a small hand gun. The cold metal kicked out of reach by Griggs as he glares down at her. One hand reaching out roughly pulling her to his feet. His arm securing her in front of his body as he rained down gunfire slowly backing the pair through the doors. Griggs tossing Scarlett from his hold as if she was nothing but a doll.
There Arkham stood ordering a few other men in similar attire to his own, scrabbling files together, bikes of chemicals into locked containers. The mans once calm composure gone hurled into cinders as he rushed around the room barking orders. " Are all my assets secured officer Griggs." Arkham asked " Is he here." Arkham's pleading eyes weren't leaving Scarletts eyes anytime soon as she lay against the coolness of the tiled walls. Her vision becoming blurred as she felt a prick in her arm. "Hey—." She slurred moving her arm away with a delayed reaction as one of the doctors similar to Arkham moved away from her, Arkham himself now stood towards her. "Yes he's here—We will hold him off—." Griggs broken sentences becoming jumbled as the burning sensation in Scarletts body began to return. " Make sure that door is bolted shut." Arkham shouted rushing towards his desk, another doctor assisting him as Griggs positioned himself beside the door. "I just need enough time to get the last of the dosage in her system—."
"Get away from me." Scarlett screeched scuffling her body back stumbling over her feet falling back harshly onto the ground once again. Her leg flicking out kicking the doctor in his shin knocking his balance. Quickly moving sloppily out the way making her way out of her, her hands grasping at anything she could find, her fingers grazing over to the operating table. Arkham's associate winced before cornering her opposite the table. The pounding of the heavily bolted door becoming more consistent more rhythmic as whoever was outside raptured against the cold metal. "This door won't hold much longer Arkham." Griggs shouted as he tried to speak into his radio receiving nothing in return.

Scarlett eyed the door where Griggs stood. Her fingers twitching as she glimpsed at the taser hanging from his back pocket, her tongue grazing her lip feverishly. Fuck it. She lunged herself across the operating table tackling Arkham's associate out of the way. The burning in limbs subsiding almost as she lunges forward, her hand in he's from grasping the taser. Her movements halting as a hand grasped her ankle pulling her to the ground. Arkham's associate clambering to get on top of her clawing at her exposed flesh. Kicking her legs crawling backwards the two began to flutter into a limb entangled position. Scarlett on her back as she held both hands up securing her attackers arm from getting closer to her neck. The sharp point of the needle edging closer pained groans of frustration biting on Scarletts lips as her grip began to slip. The burning in her veins surging as she began to push even more and more her screaming cries almost encouraging her to overpower him. The rupturing explosion of the door being breached but a blurred out surge of white noise ringing in her ears. The dusty cloud of smoke hazing her vision as the two ducked out of the way of the debree falling from around the door frame.
Scarlett hand flew to a broken shard of sharp metal that had landed beside her, her legs wrapped themselves around the associates waist as he faltered at this one shot of weakness giving her enough time to swing her small frame around landing herself on top of him, the metal shard embedding itself into the hilt of the doctors neck, the splatter I'd bloody spraying across her clothes, fingers and face as she dug the metal shard into his neck once again. The mans eyes widening to the size of golf balls as he choked on his own blood. His mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water as he began to suffocate. Scarlett breathing heavy as she slowly lifted her gaze stepping up from her first ever victim. Her hands shuddering as she raised her hands to her lips, tears spilling from her eyes in realisation of what she had just done. She hadn't meant to stab him in the neck. She hadn't meant to kill him. His lifeless corpse lay before her feet, his cold dead eyes staring up at her with a glossy sheen. The crimson blood oozing from his neck, his mouth agape. The sight burning into her mind. Her entire body flinching as she felt the coldness of a pair of hands touch her forearms. She's failed to hear the footsteps approaching her. She's failed to see the familiarity in the purple dye of the crocodile skin trench coat. She couldn't tear her eyes away. It was like her mind refused to let her look away, like it wanted her to see this, it wanted her to remember this. Her eyes bleeding out tears until there was nearly none left. Her eyes pulled away by the toughness of paled hand guiding her into the calmness of these blue eyes, far less bitter then he dead cold eyes permanently engraved into her mind.
" focus on me." He ordered grasping her face in one hand. His electric green hair sloppily falling to one side. The dominance in his voice overpowering as her cold eyes stared into his.
His mouth moving revealing his silver patched teeth. His eyes scraping around her for any form of life inside them. The scurrying is his men apprehending Arkham's accomplices barely phasing the two as Joker stood holding his daughter within arms length. Nothing phasing them as he stood just a man trying to calm a child back into the reality of the brutal world she was now apart of. His lips parting as he spoke softly.
Calmly..... "Let's go home."