Two: Girl

Hey guys, hope you enjoy this chapter!
WARNING: this chapter is not edited. Beware of possible bad gramma and spelling mistakes.

***

frown; [verb] furrow one's brows in an expression indicating disapproval, displeasure, or concentration.

***

I tilt my head in confusion as I notice a note underneath my coffee. I pick it up and turn it over to see writing sprawled on the back.

It read:
Turn that frown upside down!

I frowned even more and look up to see the boy who had served me behind the counter looking right black at me. He was grinning like an absolute idiot.

Before I knew what I was doing, my lips curled upwards. Into a smile. But as quickly as the smile came, it went. I shouldn't be smiling, especially after I lost so much. I knew my parents wanted me to be happy, but how could I when my twin brother was dead?

I sigh and look back at my laptop taking a sip of rich goodness. After a few minuets of looking at my bright laptop screen and not getting anywhere, I slam it shut in annoyance and shove another forkful of waffle in my mouth.

Ever since I had found this cute little coffee shop, I had been doing the same thing everyday for about a month now. After my day job as a receptionist at a local high school, I went to my apartment and changed into something comfortable before coming here.

I'd never been served by that boy before, it had either been a brown haired girl or a brown eyed boy. Not that I was complaining or anything. This boy looked like a gift from the Gods. Like he was carved by the angles. I steal a glance at him and see him making something what likes like a cup of coffee.

He looked so care free and happy even though the coffee machine was giving him a hard time by spitting a dark substance all over him. I could never be like that, I thought sadly to myself. He had jet black hair which looked like he had just gotten out of bed and glowing blue eyes. Everything in this coffee shop seemed so dull and dark compared to his glowing blue orbs. He had a defined jaw line and was wearing black jeans and a v-neck shirt with an apron with the words 'Joe's Coffee' written on it.

Before I was caught staring like a stalker, I averted my eyes from the drool worthy specimen and looked around the empty coffee shop. Not many people came here, and I could see why. It didn't exactly scream happy and welcoming, which was propably why I liked it so much. Everything in the coffee shop was brown. Dark brown, light brown, beige... every single type of brown.

Everything seemed be covered in a thick layer of dust, leading me to believe that this place didn't have enough staff.

It wasn't all too surprising considering I had only seen a total of three people working here and not even at the same time! Usually there was only two people on a shift at a time, which was plenty as there was usually only me here and a few other people who probably just happened to be walking by and needed a caffeine boost.

This place would be nice and homely, it just needed a few touch ups. Okay, maybe a lot of touch ups.

Once I finished my waffle and coffee I put my laptop in my bag and head towards the till. The boy was standing there grinning at me. "Erm, how much?" I said getting my purse out of my bag.

"Four pound fifty." he said – still grinning like he won the lottery may I add.

I give him a five pound note and without waiting for the correct amount of change, I leave, finding his smile suffocating and maybe, just maybe, his pink lips too irresistible.

~

The next day I did my usual routine and went to Joe's Coffee. When I enter I immediately notice the absence of the black haired boy and feel disappointed. I scold myself for feeling anything but gladness that that weird-note-leaving boy was not here.

I sit down at my usual seat and take out my laptop, putting it on the table in front of me. I was currently working on getting some good ideas and inspiration for a book I was planning on writing. I had already went to university and graduated. As hard as this was to believe, I graduated from St Clare's Grammar school at sixteen and graduated uni at nineteen. I was a very smart and advanced child at my age, as you can probably tell.

My only dream for the future was to be an author. Although, it wasn't going well at all. I had written short stories and one fan fiction piece, but non good enough to publish or even consider sending to an editor. And that's how I found myself cooped up in this empty coffee shop.

I hear a ring coming behind me, indicating someone had entered the less than crowded building. I turn around to see him walking in. His hair was wet and messy like always and his blue eyes showed true happiness. Who would be happy about going to work? Not that I didn't like my job, quite the opposite really, but I never looked as happy as he did. But then again, I never looked even remotely content.

When he saw me a huge toothy grin took over is features. He waves at me and skips to the till. He goes behind the back presumably to put his coat away and get an apron. The girl from yesterday who I had learned is called Jade comes to take my order. "The usual?" she asks with a smile.

I nod my head without the trace of a smile. Smiling just wasn't my thing. She gives me another small smile before walking off. The boy came out as Jade was preparing my coffee. The boy took it from her, telling herself which my ears could not hear. I turn my head away and take out my laptop, trying to ignore the overly happy boy.

Soon enough a tray was plonked on my table. When I look up I see the boy already walking away again. Boys probably the wrong word for him considering he is anything from that, but the never leaving smile on his face makes him seem so much more innocent.

I was half way through my waffle and coffee when I finally noticed the note. I turn it over and read the words on the back.

You look beautiful today, but you'd look better with a smile.

And this time I didn't try to hide the smile on my face. I tilted my head so I was facing the bay and smiled right at him.
____________

I know how I want my story to end, I just don't know how I'm going to get there yet🤔😂 #I'mUsless