Chapter 2

Eli's POV

I stared at my step-mother in disbelief. "The... Ball?!" She had never even asked me to go with them to dinner, what's going on? 

"Oh... Don't think I want you there." My hopes sunk slightly, hearing her words. "It was by the Alpha's decree that, 'every wolf in the pack attend.' Personally, I would do anything in my power to keep you from going. It would be cruel to let you think you had a chance at being the next Alpha's​ mate, what with my beautiful daughters going to the ball."

I frowned. "Why would I want to be the Alpha's​ mate? Why can't I just go to the ball?" Technically, I didn't necessarily want to go to the ball, but my step-mother's comment put me a little on edge. 

"Why, everyone wants to be the Alpha's​ mate. Just think, being the Luna gives you power over the entire pack! I can't just let you go to the ball that easily. Besides, if you're not there, it's one less competitor to worry about."

Power? I almost laughed, but thought better of it. My step-mother thought for a moment, then said, "... If you really want to go that badly, then tomorrow you'll have to take care of all the chores, help your sisters get ready and," She looked down at my clothes, worn down and ripped in certain places. "Find something suitable to wear. If you can do all that by the time the ball starts at eight, then you can go." I nodded, feeling slightly eager.

Mainly, I have to cook and clean, but there's also the occasional job or assignment that sends me into the town such as grocery shopping or picking up an order at the seamstress's. The hard part would be finding something to wear. The ball was a masquerade, so you were required to wear a mask as well. I thought for a moment, then I ran down to the basement, an idea forming in my head.

"Here it is!" I pulled out my father's old dress suit, the one he used for special occasions. The suit was dusty, but still usable. I was allowed to keep a few things from my family, including their clothes, photos, and heirlooms. I kept them in boxes in the corner of my room. Digging deeper, I found the mask my mother wore to her coming of age ceremony. They stopped holding them after the raids a few years ago, for fear of another pack attacking while everyone was at the ceremony.

I studied the mask, running my hands over the design. The mask was a little old, the deep blue color slightly faded and the delicate swirls of glittery white rubbing off. It was made more for a woman to use, but it was the only mask I had. Now all I had to worry about was the chores my family would be forcing upon me in hopes keeping me at home.