16.Humpty Dumpty and Rosemary

16. 

            “Flat tire and the engine is busted,” Coda tells me, shaking the car as he gets in and slams the door shut.

            I pull my knees tighter against my chest, feeling weary.

            “What do we do? We don’t have a spare anymore,” I murmur.

            Coda watches me carefully, a thoughtful look on his face.

            “I’m going to have to walk to the nearest town and get some help, my phone’s dead and no passing car will stop to help us at this hour,” he tells me flatly.

            I’m?

            No we?

            I lift my head off my knees, watching Coda as he searches around him for something.

            “Here,” he tells me, handing me a small bat.

            I stare at it blankly.

            Coda sighs softly, taking my hand and pressing the bat into it.

            “I’ll try to get back as soon as I can,” he tells me reassuringly.

            I swallow hard, not feeling like myself.

            He was going to leave me here?

            I can hear the wind of the fast cars slapping against our car, the blurred noise not enough to erase the shock of earlier.

            “You’re leaving me here?” I ask, more as a statement.

            Coda looks away, rubbing his forehead in weariness.

            “It’s a long walk in the dark. At least here you’ll be safer,” he murmurs.

            Yeah, by myself.

            “Are you going to leave?” I ask quietly.

            Somehow, Coda knew that I was asking something beyond the normal scope of him leaving.

            At this point, I felt like he could literally pick up and leave for home without me.

            Maybe he could even forget everything we’ve gone through and return home.

            At this point, I wasn’t so sure what would happen, anything was fair game.

            Coda heaves a heavy sigh, his head bent low.

            “Do you really think that I’d do that to you? That I’d just leave you here stranded in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night?” Coda asks me, no accusation or hurt in his voice. His voice tired.

            I watch as the clock flickers to 11:40 pm.

            “No…” I say truthfully.

            Coda doesn’t say anything but I can only hope that that answer satisfies him in some way.

            Coda is silent, checking a few things on the car, as I sullenly sit and watch him. By the time he opens the door and leaves with a soft ‘I’ll be back’, I am already shaking.