Chapter Forty-Five: Gonna Need a Bigger Boat

Rain was too far gone. Aside from the Hexer attack, his body was beyond Hanna's capabilities. Nothing could be done with this amount of damage. It was a race between Rain dying from his injuries or the Hexer mutation took hold and changing him into one and cause an uproar in the city.

"Get it together, Hanna!" Siem roars at her.

"There's nothing I can do! All I can do right now is keep him breathing. I can't close the wounds, not with that shit pumping in his system! I can't give him blood because his blood is too incompatible with our sources and I damn well not risking Mist with a transfusion."

"So are you telling me we are just going to watch him die!?" He roars.

"Then you come up with something!" She snarls back while trying to get the ventilator mask on while Rain writhes under her. She didn't have any more options. He was on the verge of losing the ability to breathe. She just might have to kill him, herself.

She could feel her panic rising, like bile in her stomach. She has been in this situation before, but not like this. Most of the time they would end a soldier's life before they were brought into her care. But this time...this time...she had hoped to stop it...reverse it...She could feel her vision clouding over-

"It's ok, let go."

She froze when she heard that voice. Staring at Rain's body from the side, out of place like a drop of water in a barren wasteland, is Kae. But not exactly Kae. He peered up at her for a second, his eyes were inked black and glowing sharp yellow. The tattoo black ink bled from his eyes in intricate and, she had to admit, beautiful patterns down his face and neck, disappearing down under the jacket. His exposed hands were both sharp black claws. This was normally when he was out of control. But he was staring up, calmly and in control. Something about him was...eerily beautiful as he stood there...normally one would put it as he was frighteningly eidolic but he seemed to have calmed her with just his presence alone. That was more unnerving.

Kae's hand lifts to Rain.

"Are you mad?" She asks astonished, snapping back to reality.

A small smile slips on his face. "A little, maybe."

"Stop, Kae!" X skids to a halt at the entrance to the room. He was breathing hard as he looks on, his eyes widen as he sees Kae's eyes go blank.

------------

I feel myself floating down slowly like a petal caught in the air. But there's nothing but darkness around me. I could...feel something though. It wanted to repel me but I still glided through it like a fish through water, which almost made me smile. Ain't gonna get rid of me that easily, ya punk.

Now the issue is that I have no idea what to expect. His mind might be something like dancing unicorns chasing after me because he hates my guts and who wouldn't want to see their enemy impaled by a horse that farts rainbows?

I never really thought about what would happen if I did die in here...best not to think about it.

My feet hit something wet and grainy. Like sand. Looking down, I noticed where I my feet pressured into it, the sand would light up with small blue orbs, similar to Lady's fur. Bioluminescence. How cool.

Did I just say that something about McGrouchy-Grouch was 'cool'?

Looking around, the glowing sand was scattered across in front of me and it felt like I was stepping on stars. I knew I was on a beach but I felt and heard nothing. No waves crashing into the shoreline or water smacking into my legs. It was a standstill of just tiny little stars and wet sand beneath my feet. But no water.