14. In the Enemy's lair

A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!! 🎄🎄 🎄

I hope you all enjoy this chapter ❤
Please excuse any grammatical mistakes.

***********

Sullivan estate, Newyork.

Claire was standing next to the window in her room at the Sullivan mansion. A few hours had passed since she had returned back home. From her window she could she several men coming and going out of the mansion hurriedly.

"Ma'am please I've been ordered to not let you strain yourself, you need your rest, please come back to bed ", the nurse standing at the corner of the room pleaded to Claire but she paid her no mind as she continued looking outside the window.

Claire was feeling numb. She couldn't believe what had happened. Not many people could stand against the Sullivan family, they were a force to be reckoned with it. It was something that Claire had learnt shortly after her wedding with Patrick. And even though the immense power had scared her initially, she had always felt a sense of security through it.

Even at the time when war had almost broken out between the Romero's and them, the women of both the families were never attacked. Women belonging to the mafia families were very rarely dragged in the middle of any conflicts.

But after today Claire knew that the gender of the accused wouldn't matter to the high boss's of both the families. Why should they care about it if their enemies had first chosen to strike them down through this way?

Amara, the family's little princess was in the clutches of the enemies, she didn't want to think about what could be happening to her now. Claire took solace in the fact that very soon Amara would be back home with them and after that she would never be exposed as she had been when with Claire.

Claire couldn't believe how irresponsible she had been. She should never have taken the kids out on her own. Tears pooled in her eyes as she remembered a helpless Amara's screams and Cian's broken expression when he realized who exactly was behind the ambush but she quickly brushed them away.

Her eyes roamed the compound grounds as if searching for the giggling and running figure of Amara, desperately hoping for the morning events to be nothing more than a bad nightmare.

Disappointed and tired she was about to turn away when she heard loud bangs and shouts coming from outside. She quickly searched the source and her breathing quickened when she saw the bloody figures of two men being dragged inside the manor roughly.

Even through the blood that covered the first man's face, Claire recognised him at once. It was imprinted in her mind and she could recognise him anywhere, she had seen it from very close up afterall.

She knew they would be taken to her husband Patrick who was holding a meeting with the members of the organization in his office. He and Caden had arrived only an hour ago and after checking up on her he had left to discuss the situation with the elite members who had arrived soon after the news of Amara's kidnapping had spread.

Quickly she turned around and limped towards the door, a pained hiss escaping her as she put pressure on her left foot which had been sprained when she fell down.

The nurse's eyes widened when she saw that Claire was walking towards the door. "Ma'am -", she began in her high pitch voice but Claire waved her off and closed the door behind her.

Very slowly she limped all the way to her husband's office only to find it empty. Confused as to where everyone had disappeared she turned around only to see a guard passing through the corridor who stopped at the sight of her.