Chapter 32

After the naming ceremony, Scar came down the slope and approached me. His snake eyes were locked with my gaze and I felt frozen. Sarafina, Tama, and Kula stayed at my side. They eyed Scar as he neared closer.

"If you're on the Pridelands after sunset, I'll have no problem allowing the hyenas to hunt." Scar's voice was icy and I couldn't help not shivering.

"I'll be long gone by then," I replied in the same cold tone. My blue eyes lifted up toward Priderock where I'd seen Zira disappear with Vitani. "Just let me say goodbye."

Scar blocked my path, revealing his fangs. "You're not allowed to say goodbye to Vitani. She doesn't need to know that her mother was a traitor who didn't love her."

A snarl rose from my throat and my face contorted with rage. "You mean to say that you'll never tell her that I'm her real mother?!"

Scar sneered at me. "As far as I'm concerned, you're not fit to be her mother." Sarafina blocked my path before I could launch myself at him. It took Tama and Kula helping her to hold me back. "Goodbye Nala."

He turned and walked away from me. That disgrace of a lion would raise my daughter with the cruelest lioness I've ever met. Vitani didn't stand a chance. She would grow up hating me, not ever knowing how much I loved her.

How much I wanted to save her.

"Come," Sarafina whispered. "The Pride wants to say their goodbyes." As she spoke, the lionesses approached me with sorrowful faces.

Issa was in the lead and she looked deeply upset. "I'm so sorry, Nala. My sister doesn't understand what love is. All she knows is survival and power. I'm sorry that she saw you as an obstacle." She seemed genuine and I dipped my head to her.

Bina and Eshe came forward side by side. Bina, Kula's mother, looked a lot like my dear friend. She stared at me for a moment before touching her nose to mine. "You would've made a wonderful Queen."

Eshe stepped forward, the mother of Tama and Malka. She didn't look anything like her two cubs. I'll always remember her patience. My eyes scanned the crowd as each of them came up to say their goodbyes.

Dwala, Naanda, and Diku. They were Sarabi's sisters. Dwala was one of the best huntresses in the Pride. I'd miss their easy-going personalities. Saran was one of the sweetest lions I've ever met. I never did like her sister, Ramla. Even Katura and Afra came to say goodbye. The Pride returned to Priderock after they've all said their goodbyes.

Now I turned to face my biggest supporters, the ones I loved the most. Tama stepped forward first, tears in her eyes. She always used to be so strong. This is what Scar's reign has done to her. "Remember us, Nala." Tama choked out. "We'll always be with you." We rubbed our cheeks in the last moment we would ever share.

Next came Kula. Her red-brown fur was dull and she was so skinny. Kula trembled as she stood in front of me. Her eyes met mine and no words needed to be said. I would miss her immensely.

Sarabi walked forward. She's never looked so defeated. She embraced me and whispered into my ear. "I loved you like a daughter." Then she backed away to give me and Sarafina space.

My mother stepped forward on wobbly legs. Her blue eyes, so alike to mine, were brimming with tears. "Nala..." My throat tightened as she spoke, I couldn't breathe. "No matter where you are, you will always be my daughter..."

I couldn't stop the tears as I embraced my mother for the last time. She's lost so much, we all have. Even if I didn't want to leave, I would have the best chance over them all. I would be free.

"I love you, Mom," I croaked as tears spilled down my cheeks and traced my jaw.

For a moment, a beautiful moment, Sarafina smiled. "I love you, too"

Movement at the ledge of Priderock caught my attention. Scar stood there and looked down on me with unmasked hatred. I've overstayed my welcome.

"Goodbye," I murmured, meeting the gazes of Kula, Tama, Sarabi, and my mother. "I will always love you."

I turned my back on them, on my Pride, on Priderock-the only home I've ever known. Before me were the Pridelands, and beyond that, who knew? My future was ahead of me, not behind me. With one glance back at them, I took off and prayed to the Great Kings for strength.

My paws carried me quick and far. In no time I was at the waterhole, Priderock a mere smudge in the distance. I didn't know the next time I would find water, so I trekked down to the waterhole and prepared to drink my fill. The water felt cool on my tongue and I relished in the relief it brought my dry mouth.

The grass rustled behind me and I froze. Something was sneaking up on me. Or someone. I pretended that I didn't hear them and continued drinking. Come closer...a little more...

When I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, I launched myself at whoever it was. Amber eyes stared up at me and I gasped. "Malka?!" He hadn't even bothered to say goodbye to me.