24. Read Big Magic

Very few things rock my world when I read them. Most of the time, when I read something inspirational, I'm like, "Okay, that's nice. What's next?"

One day, when I was wrestling with self-doubt and bemoaning the sad state of my creativity, someone suggested I read Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, by Elizabeth Gilbert. I said okay, and found it at the local library, not expecting much.

In short, it blew me away. Blew. Me. Away. This book completely upended the way I look at my writing. I was gunning hard at traditional publishing and stressing myself out, thinking if I didn't get a publisher, then my writing was worthless.

If you're a victim of this way of thinking, if you believe that your writing is only as good as the number of readers you have, then pay attention: You are placing a needless burden on your writing. Whenever we place such critical expectations on our writing, our creativity takes a hit. Muses are flighty things that come and go as they please, and they definitely do not like stressful environments. It's not about what writing can get you, it's about how writing makes you feel.

This literally changed my life. I stopped participating in pitch contests, which were distracting me from actually writing. (Pitch contests involve trying to convince agents to read your story, and possibly represent you.) I stopped researching agents (again, distracting me from writing). I stopped worrying over whether my manuscript was good enough. Because in this context, "good enough" varies from agent to agent, and your focus starts straying away from what was originally good enough for you.

This is just a small tidbit of what this book taught me. There is so much more. It was because of Big Magic that I joined Wattpad, for a more relaxed venue to share my work. I no longer stress out when I can't get my story right. I'll be sad about it, sure, but like all skills--including art--I know I'll get better with practice.

Big Magic inspired a lot of the "chicken soup" portions of "How To Write Stories People Will Love". I try to share its wisdom because I think it's important to remember why we write. To not let writing become this monster that haunts you. To avoid writing as a source of frustration, fear, or depression. We are writers. So let go of the expectations. Let go of "is it good enough", and just write. Find your voice. Find your joy.

Write because you love it.

And vote because you love me. Hahaha...